17 coaches online • Server time: 03:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League zombie...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post 4,000TV!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RDaneel

Post   Posted: May 20, 2024 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
The fact is that, while people loving low TV can always find games in the Box, people not liking low TV can't always find games in the Box.
It's easy to say: "I don't play teams for more than 15 games" when you would not play a team for more than 15 games anyway.
It's, in other words, a fake sacrifice. Your freedom of playing 15 games or less is not affected by anything (because it's where most games take place), my freedom of playing for more than 15 games is affected by people not playing teams for more than 15 games (partly due to lack of Re-Draft and partly due to people being low TV sheeps).
I still remember people crying on forum when BB2020 and Re-Draft were announced, and now FUMBBL is full of low TV teams!
This is what I mean with sheeps: people always following the mainstream, without thinking with their own brain, without personal tastes, without a personality, without a critical spirit.
They never complain, they eat whatever soup is given to them. Or, if they complain, after a while they just adapt to the status quo, like sheeps.
Are we really true to Blood Bowl concept (be a coach, manage your team, develop it, shape it etc.) by playing over and over again max 15-game teams?
I don't think so. That said, if people like to play 15-game over and over again, I'm not against that, there must be freedom for everybody.
My only concern is my own freedom of playing Blood Bowl, which is limited by this disgusting status quo of playing mostly at low TV, and over and over again.
I can't find a game with a 1560 TV Vampire team with 17 games, not a nasty 2300 Vampire team with 500 games... I find that really insane.

I find these statements vaguely offensive for the whole FUMBBL community because you are calling all the coaches on this site who play at TV 0-1400 ‘sheep’.

I personally think that the reason why you don't find many games to play is simply statistics:

There are fewer coaches who play in this way

- activate Only in Box
AND
- activate Only teams with more than 15 games
AND
- Activate teams which have TV between 1500-1800
AND
- No any participation in no any tournaments of any kind of TV level (low--mid high brrackets, no majors nothing)
AND
- Don't use game finder
AND
- Don't attend any league

it's normal that you don't find many people to play with, and I don't think it's fair to call them ‘sheep’

Last edited by RDaneel on %b %20, %2024 - %14:%May; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: May 20, 2024 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

It is not about people being sheep.

The rules and the threat of seasons have changed the culture.

A lot of the people who loved higher TV don't play [C]ompetitive because it no longer does what they liked doing.
New people come in who never knew the "good old days" so accept the new culture.

There were ALWAYS more games at low TV. If only because in [C]ompetitive, every team must start at low TV. Generally, most teams didn't do more than 10 games.
Some may have aimed for higher TV but just got killed. Twisted Evil,

There may be more teams pushing on to 15 games now because of the BBT.

Some people just prefer low TV.
Some people play so many different rosters it would take time to get teams to higher TV.
Some people just get bored after 10-15 games and want to try a different roster.

The threat of having to cut the team to 1350 or lower makes me think "why bother?"

I may as well just start my teams in [L]eague where I can dodge seasons if I wish.

If there was an option to transfer teams to [L]eague then [C] would be a bit more attractive to me.
But even so, finding games in [L]eague seems quick enough for me.
No Black Box though. Sad

If you play only one team for 50 games and you only play one game a week, you won't need to buy a new team for a whole year. Mr. Green
GW are not going to like that. Wink

New teams + stars. That's where the money is. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: May 20, 2024 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I don’t see a link between preference for TV size and which division you play in

You mention a threat of needing to cut team down, but there is no threat. There is no redraft in [C] and no sign of it coming any time soon

There’s nothing stopping you growing a C team as big as you like / as big as you can
In fact, huge vamp teams in C is the exact reason for this whole thread

It’s probably easier in C to get a good number of games per week than anywhere else
Yes there’s more activity at lower TV, but that’s true everywhere and always has been
koadah

Post   Posted: May 20, 2024 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
I don’t see a link between preference for TV size and which division you play in

You mention a threat of needing to cut team down, but there is no threat. There is no redraft in [C] and no sign of it coming any time soon

There’s nothing stopping you growing a C team as big as you like / as big as you can
In fact, huge vamp teams in C is the exact reason for this whole thread

It’s probably easier in C to get a good number of games per week than anywhere else
Yes there’s more activity at lower TV, but that’s true everywhere and always has been

Indeed. The next set of rules might get here first and make it all obsolete. Mr. Green

Though, there were optional seasons in 2016 so that is probably too much to hope for. Wink

Edit: The threat is that seasons will come sometime. So, the threat is enough.

Anyway, people, including Matt will whine if you team is too big.

So, why stay where you are not wanted.

Post   Posted: May 20, 2024 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

2500 tv is where its at. NBFL for life!
koadah

Post   Posted: May 20, 2024 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Matt's real complaint is that he can't do scheduled games.

That is what it comes down to in the end.

Post   Posted: May 20, 2024 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Considering this ruleset and the level up system allowing to automatically build stat freaks, high TV clearly breaks the game.
If high TV were quite balanced to play I would play at high TV (as an aside, I have some high TV teams, just in case somebody monoactivates a high TV team, but I'd rather not play those games).
According to my own analysis and experience, it's not a good TV for competitive games.
Until 1600, more or less, the games are decent (some could be unbalanced, but it's harder to be hopeless).
Actually, if stat boosts were capped at max +1 per stat and harder to get and the players' skill slots reduced to 3 or 4 then high TV could be more balanced (ok, with these limitations it would not be so high, but still quite high).
Too many stat boosts and skill stacks break the game. The higher the TV is, the more likely that will be.

My real complaints are that Box and GF have been merged, that Box Trophy induces people to play at 15-game or less, that there is no Re-Draft and due to that sometimes I have to face high TV teams (I have high TV teams myself but I don't like that TV, because it's not competitive). If one of my older-than-15-game teams drops under TV 1300 then I will struggle to find a game in the Box due to 15-game protection: my EU team just dropped from 1510 to 1215 TV.
It would be nice to have a Box option to play at max TV 1600.
After all, if I were on Gamefinder I would not accept high TV games, why in the Box I must be forced to play a high TV game just because I don't want to be a GF picker and earn honestly my CR points?
I want the Box for the blind pairing, but at close TV (with a max difference of 149 TV), not for totally blind pairing.
If I wanted huge TV gaps I would play the Majors, where big TV gaps are an element of that kind of tournament.
In the Box I expect TV matchmaking, not total random matchmaking.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %20, %2024 - %22:%May; edited 3 times in total
koadah

Post   Posted: May 20, 2024 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Think of [C] as a league. It doesn't work the way that suits you but you won't move to a different league.

You don't want to play vs very high TV teams. Other people don't want to play vs your long lived teams.

If you want to be able to get games very quickly you have to compromise.

The line is drawn at 15 games. After that, you get what you get.

Post   Posted: May 20, 2024 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, can I play vs likeminded people in the Box?
Is playing at TV 1400-1500 in the Box asking too much?
I don't ask to play vs the people wanting to play only 15-game teams.
As an aside, today I managed to play 3 games in the Box, but yesterday I didn't.
Nothing worse than spending hours without finding a game with an automatic scheduler.
It's supposed to find games quickly, not to waste hours.
MerryZ

Post   Posted: May 20, 2024 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

There just aint that many playing box with teams over 15 games. Why you ask ? Maybe because people dont enjoy it.

You are just asking people to play how they dont seem to enjoy, but dont want to play like others do if you just want to farm games.

To me that just sounds selfish and a bit silly, no ?

There is countles places to play old teams: tournaments, tinder, leagues, etc.

Box atm is most about BBT and thats teams with 15 games or less. Not much competitive play over 15 games so people dont most of the time bother to play there.

Post   Posted: May 20, 2024 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

Nothing worse than spending hours without finding a game with an automatic scheduler.
It's supposed to find games quickly, not to waste hours.

I'm guessing that you don't watch the news. I can't blame ya. Wink

Post   Posted: May 20, 2024 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I watch the news as well. The point is that I expect to play 3 games a day in the Box (what an unreasonable expectation, fool Matt!).
I'd like 4 but, realistically speaking, considering the rampant Trophy fetish and the turn timer set at 4 minutes without automatic time out it's not viable. Some people often disconnect from games too and waste even more time and then I have real life stuff to sort out and can't activate further. I even skip turns on defence to play games faster, but I still spend too much time due to opponents wasting it.
3 games a day are a realistically achievable goal with a matchmaking scheduler. Now, when I find one of those rare 3 games, I'd like not to face a high TV team, but I understand that even this is asking too much. A high TV game is a waste of time from a competitive perspective but I play it. A hard TV cap would fix at least that issue until Re-Draft, but again, it's asking too much.
I understand that the majority of people wants to play the Trophy, though (which sounds weird to me because there were many people saying they didn't like to play at low TV when BB2020 was announced, but people are fickle and lack consistency).
I have been playing in the Box way before the Trophy existed and now the Trophy makes me struggle to find games in the Box! The Trophy was born to make more people play in the Box, for me it's the opposite, I find this ironic! Very Happy

As an aside, when I can't play a game myself I like to watch games. The sad thing is that, with this low TV fetish, I don't even find games to watch, because most of them are at low TV with new or freshly created teams, which I find super boring to watch! Laughing

By the way, if Trophy people find TV 1500 too high and unbalanced, why the Steel Gauntlet doesn't have a lower-than-1500 TV cap?
If I'm not wrong, Steel Gauntlet is played only by Trophy teams.
So, when they reach the Steel Gauntlet suddenly 1500 TV is ok and good?
Very Happy
I'm just watching a Steel Gauntlet game 1580 Chorfs vs 1590 Undead.
Dizzy TV heights for Trophy teams!
Garion

Post   Posted: May 20, 2024 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Weird use of the word fetish...

Post   Posted: May 20, 2024 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Trophy passion, craze, mania. Better?
Garion

Post   Posted: May 20, 2024 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Trophy passion, craze, mania. Better?

I think all of them are bit hyperbolic. Maybe "trend" would suffice.
But then you speak in a hyerbolic way, maybe it's just your style Smile