34 coaches online • Server time: 04:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Wotfudboy's Dryad team is...
Pretty close to being a good stunty roster!
24%
 24%  [ 9 ]
Close but no cigar... see my post for suggestions.
18%
 18%  [ 7 ]
Scrap it! The idea is woeful and I'm going to flame you!
48%
 48%  [ 18 ]
I want to vote for something, but not the above options.
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 37

Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2007 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

In the current fever of proposing stunty races I've offered up what I think is a balanced team... the Dryads.

Please take a look below, examine the skills and traits and feel free to vote in the poll or propose alterations.

Wotfudboy's proposed "Dryad Stunty Team"; EDIT 3.

0-1 x "Great Oak" Treeman, 2/6/1/10, Mighty Blow, Thick Skull, Big Guy, Stand Firm, Take Root, Throw Team Mate. 110k
The Treeman is the foundation of any Dryad team. But before you say "oh great, another woodie team /yawn", take a look below.

0-4 x "Saplings" 3/3/1/7, Thick Skull, Stand Firm, Take Root, No Hands, Tentacles (Strength Access Only). 80k
These young treemen are being nurtured and tended by the Dryad, guided by the spiritual ways of the Tree Tenders. Their "Tentacles" are actually young branches and roots that try to trip anything that comes near. However, they, like their larger acorn father, will also take root. Also being young trees, they only have an av of 7. Four are available to the team, but when a coach takes a treeman and a falcon as well it means you only have 5 other players to get the ball, so like a Squig team, it's up to the coach to choose how to balance the team on a drive. The only way they can skill up is through causing casualties, as with no hands they cant hold the ball... however a stunty player is just about big enough to grasp in their long limbs and roots.

0-2 x Tree Tenders 5/2/3/7, Right Stuff, Dodge, Stunty, Really Stupid(General Access only). 70k
These Tenders are often lost in spiritual communication with the trees, saplings and woodland creatures, therefore often fall into a "Really Stupid" like trance. They have to be close to their woodland kin to be effective... ie in "Tending range". This gives some unpredicatbility to their blitzing. They tend to and care for the saplings, and will defend them at all costs.

0-2 x Falcon 7/2/4/5, Dodge, Stunty, Leap, Dauntless, No Hands, Wild Animal (Agility Access only). 60k
These fast and agile hunter birds protect their woodland home, often darting and diving in to the fray to attack with their sharp beaks and talons. Their small size is no indication of their ferocity and ability to cause damage and alarm against any who they attack.

1-11 x Dryads, 5/1/3/6, Right Stuff, Dodge, Stunty, Sidestep (Agility Access only). 40k
These embodiments of female tree spirits are small and nimble. Often they avoid "other folk" very well, and it takes a very good hunter to see, let alone catch one! However, when caught they are easily hurt. With str1 and av6 they are not expected to last too long and are priced accordingly, but to show that they are difficult to grasp they have stunty. They are not designed for blocking and only have agility skills access.

Starting RR cost = 80k, doubling to 160k once team chosen.

Apoth = Yes
Wizard = Yes

Typical Starting Roster

Fan Factor 9 (90k)
ReRolls x 2 (160k)
1 Treeman (110k)
2 Saplings (160k)
2 Tree Tenders (140k)
1 Falcon (60k)
7 Dryads (280k)

(13 players for 1000k)

Wotfudboy's comments
I tried to balance the Treeman access, and 4x Sapling access with having fragile team mates. The only way to skill up the saplings are through casualties. With Take Root and No Hands they can only be relied upon to block up avenues and snare players. With Stand Firm and Str3 they are tough to knock over, and with Thick Skull they are likely to stay on the pitch, but once they fall, the av7 may make them prone to a foul, and they are susceptible to a blitz/block from a general access skills player, as they have only Strength access.

The Falcon makes an interesting addition to the normal stunty blitzer, with claw and dauntless, but the Str2 and no hands makes sure they can't be a reliable blitzer or ball carrier. The 2 Tree Tenders would be the teams main reliable blitzers with general access, and a slightly higher av of 7 so help them last longer, but with ag3 they can't be depended upon to get to their target.

The Dyrads are an especially soft and squigey part of the team. With av 6 and str1 they will /hurt when successfully blocked... however, they are difficult to lay a block on with dodge and sidestep. However, they are designed to get the ball... something their team mates either simply can't do, or cannot do very well. With ag3 they should run with the ball well, but if left exposed they will lose the ball to the opposition.

Anyway, tell me what you think! I hope there's enough fluff and unreliability fitting of a new stunty race, as well as the propect of some funny plays as well.

NOTE - I've edited the above after suggestions Edit Count 3.

Last edited by Wotfudboy on %b %02, %2007 - %12:%Sep; edited 3 times in total
Kill-Kill

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2007 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

5 players over s2 is too much, in my opinion. If you cut the saplings down to 2 or 3 it would look pretty good though.

But you made up the reasons to fight
Leijonet

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2007 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe. "Cut the saplings down..."

Leijonet -Winging justice since 6/9-08
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2007 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Kill-Kill wrote:
5 players over s2 is too much, in my opinion. If you cut the saplings down to 2 or 3 it would look pretty good though.

On this basis woud you also remove Squigs?... and they are 6 players with Str4.
Count_Von_Halseburg

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2007 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

What about some undead trees? \0/
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2007 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Count_Von_Halseburg wrote:
What about some undead trees? \0/

Actually I suppose I could work on a roster that was from the Dark Woods and work on the fluff, and somehow crowbarring regenerate in there somewhere... hmmm...
Count_Von_Halseburg

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2007 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Woohoo! \0/ s'got my vote
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2007 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

With the dauntless falcon and 4 saplings i don't really see the need for the 'Big Oak'.
goffmogg

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2007 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm

I´ve got some comments about your roster Wotfudboy...

Ag4 stunties for 30k, and ma6 and SS. Price is too cheap.
The falcon also with ag4 stunty, claw and dauntless and a pointless leap. Remove something here. And adjust ma8 somehow.
The saplings are ok, I really like them fluffwise and skillwise. But maybe tents and tackle is a bit too much.
The boneheads and no hands give the team a nice touch imo.
RR is way too expensive. That is not the where you downgrade a boosted roster.

This team could be a bashing, no-scoring team. Av5 on stunties is a blood bath =)
mitzufuss

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2007 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea and think they would be a challenging team- with so many take roots and weak av on lineman players...

Trees are cool-
Oli_B

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2007 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

My feeling is that that roster would be significantly overpowered. Substantial bashing potential with 1 tree, 1 big guy hunter, and 4 st 3 tackle with st access and then ample opportunity to score plenty with some underpriced ag 4 folk. The roster has a nice character to it, just needs some tweaking imvho.
KingKong

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2007 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

ag 4 and 5 players with str 3+ is alittle to much. Maybe tone them down somehow, do we really need ag4 in stunty? Shouldn't dodging in stunty be alittle dangerous? =D Also, can't that falcon leap with ag3 instead?
Thyrreks

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2007 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Man,

4 st3 saplings with tackle, stand firm and tentacles + a tree makes an almost impassable screen that will probably reduce opposition to pulp once someone got stuck to them.

And many ag4 stunties........

No way to crowdpushed them exception made of the falcon that will probably never be at range.

Good luck finding a game.
KingKong

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2007 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

the team fluff reminds alot of fairies also, but i think the fluff is really nice tough, could have a bashier wood creature team. The 4 sapplings with tentacles and str 3, makes for a intressting style of play. Nice idea in many ways
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2007 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all your input... Let's see if I can incorporate your comments in to some tweaks... I'll comment on each of your suggestions below, so bear with me:

Treeman -
I too wondered about the Big Oak, but I wanted a central focus of the team and fluff wise it worked nicely. In reality I could leave him out but I wanted the TTM ability in there for some fun. Let's see how things go...

Dryads -
I wondered about the price too considering the abilities... Maybe reducing them to MA5 would be good. I didn't want them becoming Snotlings or Fairies... but I wanted ag4 to make up for the av5 and str1 without any regenerate. The idea being you kept them out of harms way. Getting through "the woods" to get to them was the idea.

Falcon -
The Leap was to show for fluffiness that the falcon could "fly over" the heads of opponents, and with ag4 this was possible, and with no hands it meant it wasn't an avenue to score with... a pure blitzer I could reduce the ma to 7 or even remove stunty as a trait, but you have to ask yourself as a coach, would you buy this player and use up rerolls on Dauntless... hmmm

Saplings - A few of you have mentioned these players, and I knew they would be contraversial. I tried to incorporate some different ideas into them. I thought 3/3/1/7 was a fair choice... they can't be relied upon to dodge with ag1, even with stand firm. Thick Skull gave them some hardiness. Take Root reduced reliability. No Hands meant that they couldn't be skilled up with "give the ball to any player" TD's.With str3 they were possible to take down, especially without access to block, and when they went down, av7 should help getting a casualty. I liked the fluff of searching tree limbs with the Tentacles physicality. I suppose the crunching skill is Tackle. They wouldn't get block with Strength Access Only... and at 80k they aren't cheap. If I had to remove a skill it would perhaps be Tentacles maybe the skill to go, as Tackle would trip/snare up a stunty trying to get away (satisfying the fluff), but also Tackle would help get casualties, and is the only way to skill up this player.

What do you think? - Let me tweak the above roster - Identified as Edit 1.

Last edited by Wotfudboy on %b %31, %2007 - %20:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: