17 coaches online • Server time: 06:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post More in-built icon c...goto Post 2020 FDL Evaluation ...goto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2024 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

2020 Fitz Draft League
NFC Draft Evaluation Roundtable

The inaugural season of the 2020 Fitz Draft League is kicking off soon, and we just had our draft. This post is for the NFC, and I will cover the AFC tomorrow. I got a smattering of coaches from the AFC, the rest of the FLCA community, and beyond, and had them write blurbs on the positives and negatives of each team, as well as some observations. Some respondents know this crowd well, others are total strangers. It should be a fun read!

Rankings for TV and starting draft value are indicated based on conference before the slash, and league after the slash. By coincidence, the NFC has a whole lot more draft value and somewhat more TV than the AFC, on average.

Enjoy!

#8 happygrue: Gruyère 'n Brie Snackers
TV: 1620k (8th/14th).
Practice Squad: Blitzer (MB, 12 SPP); Catcher (Wrestle(r), Tackle, 9 SPP); Lineman (Block, 8 SPP).
Starting Draft Value: 2832.2 (5th/5th).
Ranking Variance: High.

Positives:

“HERGER!!!! Also, he didn't end up paying a terrible efficiency price for Herger, because he was quite perspicacious in finding value in the mid-late rounds. Great job getting both random Block Linemen. Starting with a Defensive Ogre and a MA8/AG2+ Blitzer is good too. Oh, and his Practice Squad is almost full, with fill-ins avaiable at key positions.”

“Herger and a Guard-Defensive Ogre. That’s the headline on this extremely top-heavy team. Robert Kough rounds out the Snackers’ top 3 and will provide a solid secondary scoring option. 43.3% of the TV is in 3 players, but it’s a pretty damn good 3 players. The rest of the Blitzer group is solid. Kevin Gruesom is only 2 SPP away from a chosen primary skill which I would be willing to bet will be Guard, and after he takes Guard I view him as a perfect player for what he is.”

“Strong presence of Guard skill, as well as Ogre strength, allows them to mix it up in a brawl. Well supported by Block linemen.”

“They've got Diving Tackle, Frenzy, and Guard/Defensive, and a few other Guard as well.”

Negatives:

"Most Linemen are Loners, and the team will be heavily reliant on an AV8+ player. This is nit-picky, but I don’t love Frenzy on Kyle Luckenga. I would worry about Frenzying a Guard piece into trouble, but Grue is way better than me so this point will probably turn out to be silly."

“Lack any passing threats, and as a running team they are somewhat hamstrung with only one rostered Catcher.”

“Not having any Sure Hands or passer types could hurt, as a lot of the undrafted free agents have Strip Ball, so it might become a thing. Even with Defensive, a non-Block Ogre could be an issue: both Break Tackle and Multiple Block are very risky on that player. Also, only one Tackle is playing with fire.”

“They don't have any of the things I'm looking for. And no Block on a 4 skill Ogre?”

Observations:

“This team will go as Herger goes, but Herger in Grue’s hands is a scary proposition. I suspect he will be by far the most fouled player in the league. I think keeping 3 players on the Practice Squad to start the season is for TV management as the Snackers will enter the season with the lowest TV in the NFC and the third lowest in the entire league.”

“As a practice squad, the Snackers will provide little threat for the overall NFC title. Star Catcher Heger is a Strength Boosted, Side-Stepping Wardancer, and will draw focus from many opponents. Blitzer Cough has great potential as a secondary carrier.”

“It's Grue, he'll be fine. What's more, it's Grue with Herger. I'd feel more comfortable about this if he had more conventional skills: even with Herger to scoop the ball on a 2+, this team might be a trick with just 3 rerolls and 1 Tackle who doesn't have Mighty Blow.”

“Herger is obviously trying to be a mainstay for the team, but why put all your eggs into an av8+ Catcher, who's going to be used as a runner anyway? Kough will also try to help out, but again, why is a Blitzer being your Thrower?”

#7 Arcayn: Philly Philly Brotherly Shove
TV: 1780 (t-4th/t-5th).
Additional Liabilities: -10k winnings, round 1.
Starting Draft Value: 2845 (4th/4th).
Ranking Variance: Very Low.

Positives:

“Strong team from top to bottom, largely because of what I believe is the best Linemen group in the conference. Frank Reddic will be an extremely versatile player, and I would guess Philly’s top scoring threat. Michael Bishop probably starts the season as the best Thrower in the NFC, and Josh Harper should be a good enough second scoring threat to keep teams from completely focusing on Frank.”

“The Shove has a great Thrower. They have multiple +ST Guard Linemen, excellent!”

“Frank Reddic is an amazing Blitzer, even if he is a bit expensive. The value players are good values, and having two ST4 Guard Linemen isn't terrible. But the real asset is four Side Steppers, three of them Blitzers.”

“Elite passing game with superb scoring threat. Some of the best supporting Linemen in the competition with that ST4 and Guard combo. Blitzer Swiss Army knife with tools for all occasions, capable of controlling sideline, Frenzy surfs, and even a Strip Baller.”

Negatives:

“No Ogre to soak up damage, and without any Dodge skill players they have no significant Movement or Agility advantage over other teams. With just two Guard players, they will struggle in any scrum.”

“They have a Sidestep catcher, but compared to other teams, not great. No fouler, no killer.”

“A general lack of quality starting skills, with only 4 Block, 2 Guard, 2 Mighty Blow, and 2 Tackle; what's more, none of the Mighty Blow and Tackle are on the same players, and only one player with either has the points to take the other skill, assuming that's what he even does.”

“No Guard in the Blitzer core. Will rely heavily on Mylon Brown and Robert Faun, but both are 12 SPP away from guaranteeing Block. Heavy investment in Linemen leads to fifth highest TV in the FDL to start the season, although 3 of the 4 more expensive teams are also in the NFC, so Philly won’t necessarily always be up TV.”

Observations:

“Overall, I expect this team to struggle. They've chosen no Ogre, but have multiple ST4, so could be fine. I don't like Reddic - he's a blitzer, who's taking both the one-turner and Thrower spots, which is just wrong in the long term. Could do well this season though.”

“By far the most aggressive Linemen draft strategy in the NFC. I expect high boom or bust possibility with this team as they will need strong play from these Linemen to meet their full potential. Jordyn Maylotta may be this team’s swing player as the only Lineman with Block. Will randomly rolling Multiple Block on him combined with the Guard and Defensive on the line be enough to overcome the lack of Block across the rest of the position group?”

“This division is incredibly tough, and Side Step, well, it's a better skill if you can outcoach your opponents. Somehow, I suspect that the lack of Block and other core skills is going to outpace the excess of Side Step.”

“Sunday night NFC highlights package will be full of exciting plays and touchdowns from Brotherly Shove. They have one of the most deadly combinations in the league, with sharp shooting Thrower Bishop, and star Blitzer and main scoring threat Reddic. Despite holding a pair of incredible supporting Linemen in Faun and Forbard, I fear they are at risk of being out bashed in many of their match ups. The key to their success will be limiting damage, creating space, and unleashing their incredible attacking ability.”

#6 Waagh: Carolina Quitters
TV: 1780k (t-4th/t-5th).
Additional Assets: bonus pick, season 2, round 5.
Starting Draft Value: 2849.9 (3rd/3rd).
Ranking Variance: Very High.

Positives:

“Dominant in any strength engagement and blocking war. One of the best blocking teams in the NFC due to 7x Guard. Excellent mobility with Break Tackle and Dodge players.”

"If Matthew Pritchett can keep his wits about him he could be one of the most impactful players in the league. Kaipo-Noa Enhada and William Spears will be the best safety tandem in the conference. With KNE basing players and Spears then being able to throw 4 dice at them, these two can come from anywhere and could crush a lot of breakaway scoring attempts."

“Lots of Guard! Lots, and lots, of Movement! With +AG too! Great Ogre!”

“The team is high on mobility and has a lot of Guard. They have a couple of oddball players who are also fairly good, and they did a good job accounting for their overpriced players with cheap ones. Drick Wakin should be a lot of fun. Also, they have a bonus round 5 pick next season, so they can sort of redo their Blitzer squad in Season 2.”

Negatives:

“A serious lack of Mighty Blow, and a bunch of players with "interesting" skills and very high price-tags. I get it, Waagh took over partway through the draft and kinda had to do what he could. Matthew Pritchett is a heck of an Ogre, but he's also super expensive, and the team couldn't work out more than two re-rolls. Also, like Grue, they rely on a statty player to carry with no real passing option.”

“Lacking in the training department, sporting only 2 re-rolls. No passing game?”

"The stat boosts on Drick Wakin catch the eye and make him seem like a scoring threat, but without any skills I see him primarily as TV bloat. Despite having 3 Blodgers, I think the lack of any other scoring skills and only 2 rerolls could come back to bite this team."

“Why is all that +AG and +MA on your Linemen?? The +MA +MA Frenzy is great. How is there no Mighty Blow?!?”

Observations:

“This was always going to be a bit of an oddball team, but they should be fun to watch. I have a suspicion that this team will have a hard time competing for its division, but at least it will be entertaining. Next season might go more smoothly.”

“The Quitters certainly won’t be backing away from a scrum. One of the best trained teams in the NFC when it comes to Guard, they will be hard to beat in contact. Excellent one turning potential with Frenzy M9 Blodge Blitzer Spears, as well as ability to recover a loose ball with M++ and AG++ Lineman Wakin waiting in the wings. Pritchett is, quite simply, one of the most valuable Ogres in the competition with his mobility and disruptive skill set.”

“This team has some clear goals, but they have too sunk too much into Linemen. I'm concerned with the longevity of the team.”

“The stat boosts on Drick Wakin catch the eye and make him seem like a scoring threat, but without any skills I see him primarily as TV bloat. Despite having 3 Blodgers, I think the lack of any other scoring skills and only 2 rerolls could come back to bite this team.”

“I think this team will be very good on defense but could struggle to score. As one of the cheapest teams in the NFC, they could be able to leverage Star Players to provide some of the scoring punch I see them as lacking going into the season.”

#5 Rhumy: N'awlins Taints
TV: 1760k (6th/9th).
Practice Squad: Lineman (Block, +AG).
Starting Draft Value: 2937.5 (2nd/2nd).

Positives:

“The first first pick in FDL history: AJ Hawk profiles as possibly the best two-way player in the league, apart perhaps from Herger. Harris Agbor rolling into a ST boost is huge for this team, and he is now an excellent 1b to Hawk’s 1a. A strong Linemen group and Ogre make this a well-balanced team with a strong foundation to support their two game-changers.”

“Robust team with heavy Block and Guard presence. All players AV9+ or better, with 3x AV10+ on the roster.”

“Dirty Player! +AV Lineman! Guuuaaaard! Stats on Blitzers!”

“Harris Agbor got lucky with a ST increase after the draft, and A.J. Hawk is also kinda freaky. Pro Ogre, great AV. Also, I gotta say, Wolfman Jack is just an amazing value in a Lineman.”

Negatives:

“Only two Tackle, neither has Mighty Blow. The team has a fair amount of Mighty Blow without Tackle, and some Dodge. But they don't have any ballers on the roster, though they do have a Block/+AG Lineman on the Practice Squad.”

“No X-Factor player capable of flipping the game on its head. No significant speed advantage on any rostered players.”

“Are Hawk and Harris too vital to the bash of this team to also provide the dash? If so, they will be without an answer for at least the first game with Hagan relegated to the Practice Squad. If N’Awlins is forced to call him up they will enter a new tax bracket, and I’m not sure if they have the top to bottom firepower to keep up.”

“No Catcher, no Thrower, no +MA, no killer yet. This will be rough.”

Observations:

“This is a pure bash team, but one that doesn't lean overmuch into Mighty Blow or Guard, with some of both but not an over-the-top amount.”

“Taint no mistake here — this team will be tough to beat down. Well skilled in the art of blocking, we shouldn’t see too much Taint wiped from the pitch. I do worry that they don’t have a player with the ability to win the game from a sticky situation, who can pull the team up from the undercarriage of underdog status and give them some winning streaks. The Taints will we looking towards Blodge Blitzer Agbor and AG+ Blitzer Hawk to … star ... for them this season.”

“A team that could potentially be one of the best in the NFC if the top 2 Blitzers can carry the load. They’re probably the second most top-heavy team in the conference, after Gruyere ’n Brie.”

“A solid foundation, but needs to develop more. Hopefully the first season will be kind.”

#4 Apojar: Seattle Seahumies
TV: 1730k (7th/t-11th).
Starting Draft Value: 2828.4 (6th/7th).
Ranking Variance: Extreme.

Positives:

“Brother Ryan is the hammer; Gabe King and Michael von Bargen are the anvil. King and von Bargen will get in your face, and you will like it. Brother Ryan will then bring 4 dice at whatever you hold dearest. Justin Zipp was one of my favorite Throwers in the draft, and he has 2 solid Catchers to throw to. Plus, solid Linemen and a rock-solid Ogre to round it out. Oh yeah and the best TTM 'Fling in the draft just for fun. This draft kicks ass.”

“Yay Seattle! YAY DIRTY PLAYER! Very nice Catcher… wait that's a Halfling. Ok, there's nice catcher foundations too.”

“As a unit, they sport the best Lineman in the competition with what looks like 4x additional Blitzers. Ability to TTM with AG boosted Halfling. Two players skilled with Defensive to shut down opposition Guard.”

“Though they only have three Blitzers, they're all pretty good. The team also has a lot of excellent balling ability, which is Apojar's main strength as a coach, so it's good that they leaned into that. Balthazar Blake somewhat makes up for the lack of Blitzer power. The Thrower is one SPP from a stat, the Ogre one SPP from a chosen secondary skill.”

Negatives:

“Poorly trained with only 2x re-rolls. 3x rostered ST2 players makes them one of the weaker teams in the NFC.”

“Only three Blitzers, yah. Also, while the team has a bunch of good stuff, a lot of it is fragile, with three ST2 players with lame AV, no Block, and a collective price tag of 320k gold. That, and only two rerolls. This could backfire badly.”

“Yeah, I don’t really know what to put here. I love this draft.”

“Strip Ball and Tackle.. but no Wrestle. Halfling. Guard/Defensive, but not really enough Guard. The killer ... is a Lineman.”

Observations:

“This team has identified what they need, and is working towards it, but really isn't there yet.”

“Perhaps the most human of all our NFC human teams, the aptly named Seahumies look excellent across the board, yet excel in no one particular area. The abundance of Block will help significantly, and they must lean into this on both attack and defence. Blitzers King and von Bargen will be able to shut off any opposition Guard with their Defensive skill, and no sideline will be safe with S4 frenzy Blitzer Ryan ready to pounce. They may have to lean into Ryan’s strength boosted Blodge ability on occasion.”

“This is a boom-or-bust squad that has a good chance to thrive, but also has a good chance to go down in flames early and never recover. I hate to say it, but my money is on the latter being more likely than the former. Sorry, Apojar.”

“How did this team keep such a low TV despite getting so many good players? I mean I get that they didn’t take a third rerolls but geez. I said earlier that Michael Bishop will enter the season as the conference’s best Thrower, but I think Justin Zipp is a tight second depending on what stat he rolls after his first completion. I am pumped to watch the passing race between UNLV and Hawaii, er, Philly and Seattle.”

#3 dieuraskel: Tequila Bay Drunkaneers
TV: 1890k (1st/t-1st).
Additional Liabilities: No Fan Factor winnings (avg 80k lost), round 1.
Starting Draft Value: 2798.4 (8th/12th).
Ranking Variance: Low.

Positives:

“Extremely well skilled organisation capable of controlling the pitch with well placed Guard, Block and strength skills. 2x MA9 players will allow them to shut down most scoring threats.”

“ZOMG Leap Dirty Player! +MA +MA, Guard, Guard, Guard/Defensive! +ST Guard Lineman helps a lot too. +MA Catcher. Amazing Thrower!”

“The most expensive team in the league to not obsessively hoard +ST players, the Drunkaneers are entering the season as perhaps the most complete roster in the NFC. The Blitzer group is strong and fun, the Ogre is very solid, and the non-loner Linemen have at least one of pretty much every skill you would want. A Thrower that laughs in the face of danger with a good Catcher to throw to provides the scoring punch, and Skelland Crossbonies could be a sneaky second option when he isn’t being a pain to dodge away from.”

“Intriguing Thrower, a couple Defensive Blitzers, and a good if expensive Ogre. Skelland Crossbonies is pretty close to the best-case scenario for a Shadowing player, and having two MA9 hitter types will be handy, even if one of them, Catcher Jared Hassin, is kind of flimsy. Mark Mazzaromo is perhaps the best pure cog Lineman in the league.”

Negatives:

“Leap Dirty Player. The Catcher has Mighty Blow. No real killer yet.”

“Lacking a high-Agility scoring threat outside of their thrower. High team value allows opposition teams to take inducements against them.”

“That outrageous TV is probably going to bite them in the butt. Mazzaromo and Ogre Broos Smiff are both terribly pricey, and stacking Defensive on two Blitzers, plus the expensive Hassin and Crossbonies, makes it so this team is more-or-less guaranteed to spot an awful lot of inducements. Also, while they don't lack for Tackle or Mighty Blow, they don't have anyone with both. They're also out most or all of their first round's winnings, which is risky.”

“This team is only one injury away from being in some trouble. The combat skills on Jared Hassin make me worried that he will be involved enough in the team’s bashing to risk injury, and if he goes down he I think the team suddenly isn’t so complete. Yamon Figudsson should be able to pass out of some sticky spots, but his second best receiver is 26 SPP away from guaranteeing Catch. If Hassin goes down I think this team could quickly find themselves fighting for 1-0 wins.”

Observations:

“Thrower Figudsson is undoubtedly the star for the Drunkaneers, and all offensive game play will be directed through him. If he is able to link with Catcher Hassan, the Drunkaneers could well be capable of upsetting some of the more fancied teams in the NFC. Much will depend on how well they can control the pitch. They certainly have the skills to do it, sporting 5x Guard, 2x Defensive, and Block /Tackle Ogre Smiff to take down even the strongest of Blodge threats.”

“I believe this team will serve as the litmus test for how good the custom Star Player list for the league really is. Is it better to have an expensive team with no real weaknesses, TV management be damned? Or is giving yourself the opportunity to take some inducements against the heaviest hitters the way to go? One way or another, I think the Drunkaneers will be finding out.”

“Dieuraskel came into this with a plan, that's clear. The players he took are mostly pretty good, though he kind of overpaid for some. Trading Winnings for immediate value is a big gamble, but it could be a good one if the team holds up, and they're not especially fragile, so this might come off smart.”

“This team is very well rounded, and hits almost all of my targets. They should do well, and have tools for most situations. Mainly they need Mighty Blow and Tackle on the same Blitzer, but they're close.”

#2 Bazakastine: Austin Ayahuasca
TV: 1790k (3rd/4th).
Starting Draft Value: 2959.8 (1st/1st).

Positives:

“Awesome Guard core. Wrackle, multiple +AG Catchers. A +AG Dodge Frenzy Blitzer will be a serious threat to the sidelines.”

“3x Stand Firm to go with a lot of good core skills and some very agile players. This team has a really good mix of solidity and fluidity, and the coach is always dangerous. Also, not only do they have a good Kicker at a discount, but they have the assets to take advantage.”

“This will be the elfiest team in the NFC (maybe this should’ve been in the Negatives section). With three total AG boosts across the two Catchers and Keith Adder being AG and MA boosted, I imagine this team will be quite frustrating to play against. Throw in a pair of Guard-Stand Firm Blitzers and a Guard-Stand Firm Ogre who will be able to provide value without risking Boneheads, and this team will be a scoring machine. They will be able to put a screen in place and laugh as you bash your head against it while the scorers walk untouched up the sideline.”

“Strong front line with 5x Guard and 3x Stand Firm, very well supported with 2x Blodge players and an AG double-boosted Catcher. Strong and reliable Thrower, and a well trained team sporting 4x re-rolls.”

Negatives:

“This is one of the few teams that will be forced to field a Catcher on both sides of the ball, and those Catchers, while excellent, are neither cheap nor rugged. Also, a lack of players or cash guarantees means the team might struggle if Nuffle blows them up.”

“I view Desiree Delaunch as the weakest thrower in the conference and primarily a “break glass in case of emergency” type player. With a presumed heavy reliance on Dodge, the team may not have enough opportunities to take full advantage of 4 rerolls and may find themselves wishing they had taken another non-Loner Lineman instead.”

“Can't call the Thrower great. But we know Baz loves his HMP. No fouler, no +MA or Side Step catchers, but those will grow quickly with the +AG.”

“Lack of bench or practice squad may hurt in a war of attrition, especially as the season wears on.”

Observations:

“Ja Seeka may be a very useful player against this team to get some of the Guard-Stand Firm out of the way, and as the fourth highest TV team in the league and third highest in the conference they may surrender some chances for opponents to take him.”

“This team has very clear growth opportunities, with a great core. They should do well.”

“This team seems kind of like a Human response to an Undead roster: everybody has a role and does it well, but there's not a lot of generalization among the players, and unlike Undead, they kind of lack resilience if key players suffer damage.”

“No you are not hallucinating- that is indeed a Blodge Blitzer lining up for the Ayahuasca. This is a competitive team, capable of balling and brawling with the best of them. Although Ogre Criddle is the only outstanding strength player, the team is well developed with Guard and will hold their own when in a combative strength engagement. Add to this their Blodge AG+ Blitzer Adder, Blodge AG+ Catcher Jaredth, and the excitement machine that is their DOUBLE AG+ Catcher Smith, and we have a team that can win the NFC in a variety of ways.”

#1 asteflix: Sans Friends Grenadiers
TV: 1840k (2nd/3rd).
Additional Assets: bonus draft pick, season 2, round 7.
Starting Draft Value: 2803.3 (7th/11th).

Positives:

“The Grenadiers dare ask the question: what if a team only drafted players with the strongest skills in the game? There is no nuance to this team, they are here to go to war. Josh Cody should be a strong scoring threat, and if he can make it to 26 SPP and guarantee Dodge, look out.”

“A whopping 8x Guard players, including a Block Ogre.”

“Eight Guard, some stats, and a pair of Defensive players. Oh, and a Frenzy/Juggernaut. That's a good-looking team. They have no Throwers or Catchers, so they're pure bash, which isn't a terrible way to go with Humans. Despite not having a Thrower, Lineman Josh Cody is a pretty good carrier type, so they can kind of lean into their assets. Also, they get eight picks next season, though the upshot of this is still very unclear.”

“Eight Guard. Is this even the same league as the other teams? Killers, including Frenzy Juggernaut! a Lineman who is replacing a Thrower effectively. +ST Blitzer.”

Negatives:

“No fouler, no Catcher. No Catcher?? Thrower is replaced by a Lineman.”

“No passing game, average speed, and little in the way of one turn touchdown options.”

“Another team with a very high TV, this squad also kind of suffers from a lack of Tackle, with just one Tackle on a player who doesn't have Mighty Blow. Also, speaking of Mighty Blow, they only have four, which is fine for most Human teams, but isn't great if all you have is bash. It would not be an issue if their game had another dimension, but all that Guard should help keep them doing their main thing.”

“Josh Cody strikes me as the only major offensive threat on the team, so if he goes down then they could struggle to score. Also, there is no sense of whimsy here. This squad seems to have been drafted with ruthless efficiency. If Austin is the elfiest team in the conference, then this is the dorfiest. They will probably be zero fun to play against.”

Observations:

“This was a clinic in how to run a draft. Asteflix did a solid job putting his team together: he found a winning theme, stuck to it, and budgeted pretty carefully. A lot of teams that loaded up on Defensive have high TV as a result, and a lack of Tackle might make it hard to bring down ballers, but this was overall quite a solid draft.”

“I suspect this team will enter every game looking to grind their opponent into dust. Will entering the season as the third most expensive team in the league and second most in the NFC be enough for teams to afford an effective inducement counterpunch?”

“Holy Guard, Batman. This team should definitely control the pitch very very effectively. Their main problem is a distinct lack of speed, putting them at Orc levels, so they may find themselves outmaneuvered. Except the coach is excellent with Orcs, so may just slowly crush all their opposition.”

“Lean, mean, and no-frills. But make no mistake, the Grenadiers will be throwing bombs into opposition lines this season. With a plethora of Guard and a sprinkle of Defensive, this team will be difficult to get past. Lineman Cody provides a reliable ball carrying option, and S4 Blitzer Hinkley is a prime candidate for most CAS in the NFC. Their strength will be working as a single unit. If they can manage this, then anything is possible.”

Last edited by JackassRampant on %b %29, %2024 - %04:%Jun; edited 2 times in total
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2024 - 02:14 Reply with quote Back to top

AFC tomorrow.

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2024 - 07:37 Reply with quote Back to top

2020 Fitz Draft League
AFC Draft Evaluation Roundtable

#8 Cervus: Blitzedburgh Stillers
TV: 1610k (t-7th/t-15th).
Practice Squad: Ogre (Block, Guard, +MA, +MA).
Starting Draft Value: 2825.7 (2nd/8th).
Ranking Variance: Moderate.

Positives:

Another team with a respectable Bitzer core with three Guard players and three Mighty Blow players across that position alone. I also love the Ogre rocking Guard, Block, and Break Tackle, so he can really be a menace when he behaves. A Blodge Lineman with Guard helps Blitzedburgh in the bashing realm, and an Agility 2+ Blodge Thrower seems to be an excellent ball runner for them. Having a Fouler is also great.

Solid blitzer corps with mighty blow on 3 of 4, fantastic thrower who will be the main focus of the offense. Two foulers, hurray! There’s potential here to get a head start on removals and roll from there. +MA on the break tackle blitzer is good synergy.

The Stillers are leaning on the bash and the running game. They have their sacrificial players.

Negatives:

Two foulers seems to be a bit much. At least much more than is necessary given the Stillers only have one real Ball Runner in the aforementioned Thrower. Beyond him , this team has no real star factor that can help turn matches around. Four Guard players is an average amount compared to the other AFC teams, so they are going to get bullied by Strength four monsters or Defensive players clogging up their guys (or just beating them down). This team really needs a Catcher, or another high Movement option to rely on in tandem with their Thrower, otherwise it is going to be a long grindfest for the Stillers, with an average bash roster. Finally, 2 Rerolls is a killer for this team. Why draft a Practice Squad Ogre, when you could have taken a Lineman AND bought your third Reroll?

Why is there an ogre on the practice squad? I’m very confused lol. Not enough guard to take on the bashier teams in the league, this is another team that will need to choose their battles carefully. No catcher makes me sad.

No obvious receivers, they don't have a plan B. Having now seen what they're up against, I don't have high hopes for Blitzedburgh.

Overall:

I think there’s potential here, and skills seem to be where they should be in general. I think that the main difficulty Blitzedburgh will have to overcome is that they will need to play a relatively slow grind to get their super-thrower down the pitch and into range, but don’t yet have the tools they need to overpower their opponents.

Whoga Dahm from the practice squad would be on my starting lineup rather than David Shawn, but I'm sure the Stillers' coaching staff knows what they're doing. They'll have some late season wins, but it won't be enough to save them.

I appreciate the effort put into this roster, but I do not think there are enough talented guys to make this strategy work consistently. There will be some game where this will work and others where they will just get bullied off the pitch. The killer will be the missing third Reroll that will ultimately cost this team too much too soon.

#7: Pop_Underhill: TheOnlyTenISee Titans
TV: 1730k (5th/11th).
Starting Draft Value: 2603.8 (8th/16th).

Positives:

Great Ogre with all the essentials, an Agility 2+ Blodge Blitzer and a Blodge Strength 3 Catcher for receivers, and an acceptable Thrower for the backfield. Defensive on a Blitzer is solid, and the Foul master Halfing is beautiful. Not to mention a Blitzer with Stand Firm, another with Side Step, and an Ogre in the middle will make One Turn Touchdowns against them difficult.

There's a clear divide between the good players and the sacrificial players. The addition of Adrian Lee on this team makes possible some plays which wouldn't otherwise be possible, but is configured as a fouler so is less likely to survive to make those plays.

Great ogre! Big fan of Marcus Easley – he’s your catcher substitute and obvious star of the team.

Negatives:

Some of the sacrificial players are fairly expensive and if they can't easily be replaced during the season, are going to leave the team short handed. The ball handling squad is lackluster.

To my eye, a lot of the skills I would want on the team are not quite on the players I would prefer have them. Guard on linemen is great! …if you already have a strong blitzer corps with guard. But here the blitzers have no guard at all, opting instead for mighty blow and some positioning skills (stand firm, strip ball). And drafting a halfling with three skills is insane to me, though at least this one has dirty player and sneaky git.

Your only Guard players are the Ogre and two Linemen with only Guard with no Block or Wrestle. That is going to make it tough. Also, who is going on the Line of Slaughter on defense? The Titans have an unskilled Linemen, but who else? The Guard Linemen with no Block and risk your only Guard on the team dying? The Kicker? The Ogre? A Blitzer? Risking any of those players' lives won't really end well. Also the lack of High Movement and Guard doesn't make me hopeful this team will be able to effectively score consistently.

Overall:

I think this will be a rough season for the Titans unless Adrian Lee has some truly fantastic matches.

While the individual players seem like solid Signings, all together there are noticeable problems with their roster that will cause the Titans to struggle all season.

I predict the team will have a very few good games early on, but end the season in tattered ruins.

#6 PatKnez: Cincinnati Porky Sabres
TV: 1750k (3rd/9th).
Starting Draft Value: 2815.2 (3rd/9th).

Positives:

Whoever said 2020 isn’t the passing edition wasn’t paying attention to Cincinnati! These boys came to PASS! With two +PA throwers (both of whom hilariously have Accurate, I guess so they can throw a perfect Quick Pass while in two tacklezones) and a +AG leaping catcher the team is ready to pass like it never went out of style.

A good mixture of half-elves and human grit, the Pork Sabres aren't oriented towards attempting to bash as most of the other teams in the AFC. They have the strongest ball handling capabilities, with some redundancy.

Everyone has Block or Wrestle, good start. There is an amazing sacker in an Agility 2+ Catcher with Wrestle and Leap, and hopefully he is getting Dauntless to help out. (At the time of writing this his Star Player Points are unspent, but can afford Dauntless.) There is an Agility 2+, Passing 1+ Thrower with Block, a Passing 1+ Thrower with Block and Diving Catch, and another Catcher with Block, Diving Catch, and Sure Hands. Between this Quad of players, the Porky Sabres are going to be able to move the ball around wherever they damn well please, and threaten anyone with One Turn Touchdown attempts. All without selling their future like other teams have done.

Negatives:

Not a lot of Guard (Only Swiss Army Knife Vrabel and a Blitzer with only Guard and 18 unspent Star Player Points) on the team probably means Cincy is not going to be fighting the Bash game much. Yes they have Mighty Blow across three Blitzer, but with no Ogre, No Strength 4 players, and only 2 Guard players, this team is going to struggle to fight the other teams running tons of Guard and Strength 4+ players.

They're going to need to execute like the half-elves they are... being as 'balls forward' as they are, they're going to take some lumps, but they're strongly positioned to score some touchdowns. And after all, it's TDs which win games.

While the team has some mighty blow, they only have two guard (one of whom is a lineman with no other skills) and no ogre so they will be trying not to engage in the scrum if they can avoid it. Unfortunately there are a lot of other teams in the league that really, really want them to get stuck in, so… good luck with that.

Overall:

With only one obvious target for those phenomenal throwers (though a second catcher with Diving Catch does provide a solid backup plan) and a lack of ways to protect him, I think that it will be a long season for the Porky Sabres.

Cincy seems to be headed in the direction of playing more of a Skaven or Elf gameplan than anything else. With well placed positioning they can threaten fast scores and dangerous sacks, but I am worried about their longevity. A couple of bad injuries can really hurt this team in the long run.

If they get involved in scrums, they're gonna disappear. They're going to be bullyed on the pitch by everyone... but they'll still likely win a lot of games if their coach knows how to elf. If they don't their ranking should be several positions lower.

#5 Drrek: Providence Steamroller
TV: 1640k (6th/12th).
Additional Assets: +25k Week 1.
Starting Draft Value: 2790.1 (6th/14th).

Positives:

They can ball, and they can move. They'll present a strong wall early one, and they have the ball handling capabilities to deliver some points for Providence.

One of the few teams who can challenge La Jolla for scrum supremacy, Providence come packed to the gills with Block/Guard linemen, sporting 7 guard players. They also have some solid removal options with mighty blow on all but one blitzer and even that most classic of human players: a dirty player lineman. Add in a slippery thrower and fast catcher and you’ve got a solid team.

A decent Bitzer core of guys who can support or attack any sort of blocks they need to throw, a Dirty Player Lineman to help with removals, a decent Blodge Quarterback in Clark, and two bodies for him to throw to in a Block Catcher and the One Turn Specialist Pilares with Movement 9, Blodge, and Side Step. Not to mention the only team in the AFC to manage to roster 13 players! But the Most noticeable portion of this roster is the FOUR Linemen all with Block and Guard. These four men will help support their Blitzer core in bullying opponents across the pitch.

Negatives:

Despite seeming to spam Guard across their Linemen, there are no really big guys on the roster. No Ogre, no Strength 4 players, and No Dauntless makes me worry that Providence might struggle to take down larger foes if their Guard gets countered by Defensive, or the opponent manages to match up to their Guard. Also, there is no reserve of Journeyman on this roster, just one unskilled lineman, so some of these guys with Block and Guard might have to risk taking hits and fouls on the Line of Slaughter when playing defense. Also, having only 2 Rerolls is going to make life rough.

While they have a lot of guard, the team will still have a challenging time against La Jolla and Houston, as defensive and +ST can counteract their plans. And once they get in a tricky place the team might have difficulty repositioning without break tackle and +AG (as well as rolling into the season with only 2 rerolls).

They're oriented ever so slightly towards bash, in a bash heavy conference. Their line will hold their own for a while in a scrum, but they won't have the staying power and they don't have any anchors for a scrum which means they're going to find themselves face down on the pitch. A lot. If the ball handling squad can take advantage of the distractions, they'll do well.

Overall:

While this is an amazing concept on paper, in practice I am worried their team is going to get torn apart due to the lack of disposable players to throw on the Line of Slaughter. But their Star Catcher in Pilares will be hard to ignore as with good positioning and plenty of One Turn Touchdown attempts, Providence can run up the score if all works in their favor.

This is very much a hybrid team. If the coaching staff adjusts to their opponents, they'll do well. If they allow their opponent to control the pacing the positioning... they'll go down hard.

Overall I like what Drrek has put together in Providence, and I think they will do well against most teams in the league. Their success hinges on how they deal with the teams that are built to counter them most obviously: La Jolla, Houston, and even Bohsenfels.

Without a lot of Defensive in the AFC it would seem that Providence plans to SteamRoll the competition by having assisted blocks at every corner.

#3 (tie) TheRedoubt: Bohsenfels Partisans
TV: 1780k (2nd/t-5th).
Additional Liabilities: -55k week 1.
Starting Draft Value: 2806.6 (4th/10th).

Positives:

Elfy! With 3 +AG players on the squad, including a catcher and a blitzer for pace, the team has the tools to make some dynamic plays (or some desperate ones!). I’m a fan of humans who can switch between playstyles depending on how the game is going.

Solid average human team at this TV with a tendency towards the bashy. A trio of players will be able to make some amazing bs plays for as long as they survive. Ethan Gouge will make some standout plays until someone's cleats find a femur.

Ball handlers... 3x +AG players to do the fancy stuff behind a good amount of Guard Blitzers, Block linos, and a Block/Standfirm Ogre. Good mix of players.

Four Rerolls, nice to see as it could help with consistency.They have a solid core of three Blitzers with Guard, Mighty Blow, and Tackle. A solid trio of ball runners in a Blodge Blitzer, Block Thrower, and Block Catcher, all with Agility 2+. In fact every player on roster has Block or Wrestle, and they even managed to roster a solid Ogre. This Team has a solid, balanced core of players who can each help support the team together as a unit. With the basic skills covered and smart coaching decisions, it seems as if this team could win many games throughout the season and have a playoff berth in their future.

Negatives:

Interesting shortage of receivers, and with only one journeyman on the bench, everything can go sideways for these guys in a hurry.

There are no real superstars that stand out on this team. No Skilled Fouler, no Movement 9 fast guys, no Strength 4 beasts, and no One Turn specialists. Also, there is no Halfling so One Turn Touchdowns will be difficult for the Partisans. There is also the lack of Stand Firm and Side Step, just one Ogre, so preventing One Turn Touchdowns will require some creative coaching as well. Injuries will have the potential to harm this team over the long term, and without any noticeable Stars, there will be a fair amount of games where this team will need to fight uphill just to tie.

Quite a few linemen with skills that are fine but probably won’t help them with their core duty, which is to soak up blocks.

Coach experience. barely 300 games on fumbbl might signify a tough time against the coaches with over 2000 matches played.

Overall:

This team is set up like a swiss army knife ready to adapt to any situation, as humans should be built, but lacks any noteworthy superstars and has no easy way to block or attempt one turn scores. Unless Nuffle decides otherwise, Bohsenfels is a good candidate for a team to go exactly 0.500 for their Win Percentage.

With a little bit of bash and a little bit of dash, the team has the ability to match their opponent and switch things up if need be. Which they will likely need to do because of how little chaff there is on the squad.

I wouldn't want to have to look any of these players in the eyes and tell them to head to the Line. I suspect this team will discover, before the end of the season, why humans don't consistently bash. As good as they might be at it, they'll encounter someone better.

I feel like this is a prove it kind of situation for The Redoubt. Or it will be a great learning experience. IMO the end result of his draft is pretty solid. Not to see if he can utilize this roster to its fullest capabilities.

#3 (tie) HyperboLemuR: Buffalo Black Crowns
TV: 1610k (t-7th/t-15th).
Practice Squad: Lineman (Block, 5 SPP), Lineman (Dirty Player (r), 7 SPP), Lineman (12 SPP).
Additional Assets: 55k Treasury.
Starting Draft Value: 2829.8 (1st/6th).

Positives:

The Black Crowns have got PACE! Double movement up on the thrower, a 9MA catcher, and even +MA on their dirty player to enable him to get to the perfect fouling square. Stacking talent in the practice squad and starting with lower TV is an interesting strategy.

Good mix of bash skills. A little extra speed is always a good thing especially on those that are going to handle the ball.

The lack of an Ogre increases reliability at the cost of strength, although two beefy linemen are available. The ball handling pair certainly have legs on'em. Loners for the obvious sacrifices, and the addition of the practice squad might be critical later in the season.

Solid corps of Mighty Blow Blitzers, with three having Guard and some other relevant skills sprinkled in. A ball handling duo of a Movement 8 Blodge Thrower and a Movement 9 Catcher will get the job done and two MASSIVE Strength 4 Linemen give Buffalo the manpower to clear a lane for their speedsters. Also Utility skills like Diving Tackle and Kick are present to help them out.

Negatives:

Not a lot of guard since only three players have it and it could be easily countered by a team with multiple Defensive players. With only two ball runners any injury to either of them can hinder this offense. One of your Strength 4 Linemen are missing Block and Wrestle, so they are going to be vulnerable until he manages to earn 11 more Star Player Points. Not to mention not having an Ogre with make it hard for Buffalo to push around opponents for the first couple of matches. Lack of Stand Firm and Sidestep (only one Blitzer with Stand Firm) means blocking One Turn Touchdowns will be difficult, but at least they can utilize a Movement 9 Catcher to threaten One Turn Scores of their own.

Only one receiver and two +ST linemen is a different look for HyperboLemuR as compared to DLE, where he has found success with a catcher-focused team. While the team can run real fast, they don’t have +AG for the truly desperate gambles.

Short on receiviers, they lack the strength to survive a bashing in a single game, mitigated some by the talent in the practice squad.

Overall:

Just not a fan of the overall build of this team. The coach has skills and will secure some wins on that alone vs the less experienced coaches, but will struggle vs the more experienced better built teams in the conference.

A fast team that can score fairly well, but will be slightly behind in bashing for the first couple of rounds. If they can avoid any major Injuries, I think Black Crowns can fly their way into a playoff berth.

Hyper is a great coach who should always be feared, but while the Black Crowns have some interesting pieces they feel a bit… disjointed right now. Nothing here seems to track with the strategies I’ve seen him employ successfully in other leagues, which is why this is the team that I am most excited to follow. However, I don’t know that it will translate to success right away.

Somebody is going to need a lot of Nuffles love to survive the season.

#2 Carthage: Houston Flexin’
TV: 1890k (1st/t-1st).
Additional Liabilities: -70k ± 10k week 1, -30k week 2, no S2/R7 pick.
Starting Draft Value: 2722.8 (7th/15th).
Ranking Variance: High.

Positives:

BEEFY! The Flexins are Men among boys. +ST BC, 4 ST4 Linos, 4 Blodge Blitzers, it's a well built team.

Who snuck an orc squad into the lineup? I mean, the Black Orcs appear to have had their armor replaced with lighter red armor... but they sure look like orcs to me.

This team looks very familiar when compared to Carthage’s DLE squad. +ST for everyone! With plenty of practice with the pros and cons of such a build, Houston’s coach should feel right at home piloting this group of ‘roided up linemen.

TEAM STRENGTH FOUR is all I see here. Probably the most Strength 4 out of any team in the FDL and all but one of them has Block. Spamming Blodge across your Blitzers will also help somewhat, especially with one at Agility 2+ and another at Movement 9. Add on that two of those Strength 4 beasts are a Strength 4 Blodge Thrower and a Strength 4 Agility 2+ Blodge Linemen, and this team has a solid offense to focus around.

Negatives:

Still susceptible to getting guard-locked even with so much strength, the real issue is that Houston doesn’t have a great way to respond to removals, with only a single mighty blow player on the team and no dedicated fouler. Jeramy “Bearamy” is a fantastic ball carrier but at only 6MA will need to be careful with the clock, though the blitzer corps can take some of that duty off his plate if necessary.

The most obvious issue: Team Value. At 1890k, Houston is giving their opponents around 100k in free inducements every game. Also one of those guys is a Strength 4 Linemen with … Dauntless? And no Block or Wrestle? Sure, you could argue he's an “Ogre Killer”, but most Rostered Ogres have Block already. Also only one Guard player (a Strength 4 Block Lineman), only one Mighty Blow player (a Blodge Stand Firm Blitzer), and no Defensive means this team can be torn apart if opponents can position Guard around these guys correctly. Finally, only 2 Rerolls are going to hurt Houston until they can afford a third.

Look like orcs, gonna have to play like orcs. They have one probable receiver in Bill Pace, who will have to have their nickname changed to 'Target Number One' before the end of the season. Most anti-orc tactics will work against this team, and other teams have the tools to beat their relatively light armor. They don't have enough Guard to pull it off.

HIGH TV, No Ogre, and 3 Loners! Wizards gonna be raining Fire down upon these monsters!

Overall:

Orcs are successful. Sometimes. They'll see some success, but they're bloated and while they look like orcs, they aren't orcs.

Conceptually interesting, I think Houston will have a hard time keeping players on the pitch even with their overwhelming strength.

There's a lot of potential for success in Houston but at a great cost. Any failures or injuries early on can hurt this team if they do not play it correctly, so coach Carthage better know what he's doing here.

If the coach can overcome the Wizards that are going to be employed by many of the opposition, the Flexins should do ok.

#1 JackassRampant: La Jolla Chargecards
TV: 1740k (4th/10th).
Practice Squad: 1 Lineman (Block (r), Sure Hands (r), Jump Up (r), 3 SPP).
Additional Assets: +180k ± 20k week 1 winnings, +30k week 2 winnings.
Starting Draft Value: 2795.6 (5th/13th).
Ranking Variance: None.

Positives:

The team drafted to what the coach does. 7 Guard, 6 MB total with a DP and a B/G lino. The ST4 Blodge BC plays right into the coach's style.

Lots of 'free' sacrificial players. Lots of talent, and the ability to cancel a fair amount of the opponent's bash game. Shane Jones is going to be a challenge to take down which results in a very strong running game.

Looks like a team that can execute exactly the game JR likes to play: control the blocking game and cause casualties. 7 guard and 2 defensive players will make any scrum suffocating for the opponent, and with 6 mighty blow on the pitch any game has the chance to go south in a hurry. Shane Jones is a standout carrier and sweeper.

Guard and Mighty Blow across the board is beautiful. Along with two Blitzers carrying Defensive and Guard probably means this team is going to Bash its way to success. (Fitting for coach JackassRampant). A Strength 4 Blodge Thrower is an excellent Ball Runner to round off this fantastic list. Tack on Four Rerolls and a solid Ogre with Block and Guard and La Jolla seems to have a championship roster. AND they did that while managing to secure extra cash to start the season. Amazing.

Negatives:

Not many. There is only one Ball Runner on the active roster so if he gets injured, you will have to rely on Blitzers with no Ball Handling skills to run the ball. There is a Sure Hands Lineman on the Practice Squad in case tragedy strikes, but that could be a serious downgrade.

Not a fan of 4 Loners on the team.

Team appears to have a weak passing game with no obvious receivers. Any game Shane Jones is unable to attend is going to be devastating for La Jolla, exposing the rather large weakness in the roster, with the caveat that Eric Kettani (I suppose) from the practice squad will attempt to cover that weakness.

La Jolla lacks 3 things: catchers (i.e. pace), +AG, and fouling. Of these, fouling is the least problematic because the team is built to overpower, and through that, generate removals. However, having a catcher around, or at least a player with +AG, for those situations where you miss 9 straight 3+ pickups or need to dodge through a column defense, could lead to possible issues.

Overall:

This is a Championship roster. One Runner is a bit sketchy, but he’s Strength 4 with Blodge and he’s surrounded by Guard and Mighty Blow spammed across the roster, and four Journeymen to help soak up hits. Unless Nuffle decides to smite this team, they are a favorite to make the Championship this year.

Although I see the 4 Journeymen as a negative, I feel like there is enough disparity in coach experience in the AFC that La Jolla will overcome that.

If they can keep Shane Jones healthy and on the field, life will be easier. Who in Nuffle's Nostril trained Eric Kettani... was Nuffle themselves guiding the randoms?

The most JR-lookin’ team I’ve ever seen.

[EDITOR'S NOTE: I had no hand in the AFC rankings!]

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2024 - 02:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Everyone has more confidence in my team than I do, just how I like it
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2024 - 05:02 Reply with quote Back to top

It's dicey but has a high ceiling. I think a lot of the trick will be massaging the schedule, getting early games in as fast as you can, as you have only 9 rostered players and are out about 90k-100k early. It will take about three rounds before you can start filling in gaps, and when you get your chance, you're gonna wanna strike first, given a high TV (unless you take damage in that time, Nuffle forbid).

The meta in this league is weird. It will take a few seasons before a lot of the coaches catch on to the nuances, which of course will trigger good ol' Heisenberg's principle, and we'll be grasping at straws again.

This game is amazing.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2024 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

There's a meta to this league?!?!?!?
I just picked players I felt we're useful.
Drrek

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2024 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

dieuraskel wrote:
There's a meta to this league?!?!?!?
I just picked players I felt we're useful.

Your strategy is so much more advanced than mine
HyperboLemuR

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2024 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Carthage wrote:
Everyone has more confidence in my team than I do, just how I like it

same except it's confidence in ME, even worse!
 Jump to: