44 coaches online • Server time: 23:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are great!goto Post Coach Standinggoto Post New special rule for...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2024 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

On each personal coach page, when we hover over the FUMBBL logo on the far right, the drop down displays a coach's current CR, win/loss record, and win percentage.

I would like this drop down to also include 'Highest Coach Standing Achieved:'

I believe there is a natural tendency for many, many coaches to try and climb the 'ladder' at some point in their FUMBBL career, and I have no real problem with this.

I suspect that if there was some highly visible, official record of just how high a coach had climbed in the past, a large percentage of those coaches might not feel the need to defend their high CR and ranking for indefinite periods of time via:

Cherry Picking on GameFinder
Playing Top Tier Teams Only
Min/Maxing top tier teams in Box
Avoiding finishing their BBT runs with the weaker teams

..or anything else a coach might tend to do in an effort not to lose CR and/or standing.

I love the ranking decay that was introduced, and if it was in an effort to improve Comp division moral, I believe this suggestion would help in a similar fashion.

I also love the new STAR system introduced to visibly celebrate a coach's tournament wins, perhaps encouraging greater participation in tournaments. Again, this suggestion is along those lines.. to celebrate an accomplishment (mostly in the mind of the ladder climber?) with an added benefit of perhaps mentally freeing up some coaches who get focused on maintaining rank or status.

I've never been ranked #1, and I don't think I intend to try, with or without this, but if I'm being honest, I'd rather be ranked 16th than 616th.. and there is part of me that would feel slightly less butt-hurt at the CR loss that accompanies a game where my solid orcs lose a game to rookie goblins or what not, if I knew whatever number I had secured would be unaffected.

One possible drawback.. would it encourage MORE coaches to try and climb the ladder ( in a toxic fashion?) at some point? I don't know. I personally think MOST coaches try and climb at some point, once they get decent at the game. And for those who truly don't care about CR, the answer should be NO, they won't be encouraged to climb by a silly number or stat they don't care about.

TL/DR:

I think a highly visible stat created to display a coach's 'Highest Coach Standing Achieved' would be good, for the reasons I listed above.

Cheers.

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2024 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

+1

Yes I think it would lead to more people trying to get a high ranking but once they had it they wouldn't need to try to maintain it.

Though, it could lead to fewer games if people just retire. Wink

Still a good feature though.

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2024 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

+1 from me as well. I know I have at one point been the lowest ranked coach on the site, playing themed teams (especially an Intercepting Treeman one! and a Hobbo only) will help get there very quickly. But since taking a year off I am trying to increase my CR and overall record.

I'm still playing Box Trophy games if you want a fairly easy win Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2024 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

+1. I'd add displaying "Highest Coach Rating achieved" too, not just the "Highest Coach Standing achieved".
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2024 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no ladder on fumbbl.

Its just points you get for picking right team.

Also rename CR to Points, not rating.

TL/DR; your butt should hurt for goblins winning against your orcs. Try to play non tier 1 someday might actually make you a better player

Last edited by MerryZ on %b %06, %2024 - %00:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
DoctorMidnight

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2024 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

MerryZ wrote:
rename CR to Points, not rating.

Words of wisdom.

The highest CR I could have reached is 1785 (27th coach on Fumbbl)

Does it mean I'm an excellent coach?
Certainly not.
I mean it.

Last edited by DoctorMidnight on %b %06, %2024 - %14:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
MRnobody

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2024 - 04:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Instead of CR based shenanigans, how about we display medals or awards for tournaments won on a player's profile. Like a trophy case of sorts. This may get people wanting to participate in tournaments where games can't be cherry picked in a toxic way and to instead use regular games as a way to try improving or maybe even to have fun!

-------------------
Yes, I am a troll.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2024 - 10:18 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:
'Highest Coach Standing Achieved:'

This page kinda shows it already https://fumbbl.com/p/coachdevel?c=The_Murker&r=0&type=overall

Available from Homepage > More > Ratings > clicking on the top left Overall number

It shows the highest CR, not rank. although maybe the mouse-over popup could show both
The other limitation is, the horizontal axis is once per week, so it may miss a peak slightly
Jan-Erik

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2024 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

CR doesn't mean anything.
Thoriin

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2024 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

MRnobody wrote:
Instead of CR based shenanigans, how about we display medals or awards for tournaments won on a player's profile. Like a trophy case of sorts. This may get people wanting to participate in tournaments where games can't be cherry picked in a toxic way and to instead use regular games as a way to try improving or maybe even to have fun!

-------------------
Yes, I am a troll.

It's already in place.

But good idea, now i'm gonna run a vampire team up to 200 games in the gamefinder to achieve a number one standing forever in my front page. Maybe in 2 or 3 years, people will forget how i get it and i become a legend Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2024 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

With the Box you'll do that faster. Gamefinder should not even be considered for CR-earning purpose, by the way.
Thoriin

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2024 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

You do it faster if you're good at coaching. In gamefinder , I just need to be good at picking and patient.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2024 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

You are good at coaching and with Vampires and no Re-Draft is easy.
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2024 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

As pointed out.

CR has nothing to do with coaching.

Just play more games and it goes up.

You sir, are genious.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2024 - 17:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Win Rate and Overal "Highest Coach Standing Achieved" can be easily a lying indicator of a fumbbl coach's quality.

Some coaches reached in the past Overall top 10 standing, Win rate greater than 70% just cherrypicking with their stunty team in gamefinder, or activating hundreds of BlackBox games with a small handful of teams super optimised statfreaked (thanks lack of redraft and that 80% of fumbbl community own teams with much less games played).

When a Wood Elf team CTV 1650 and 200 games played, play vs a Wood Elf team CTV 1650, 30 games played the team with more games played very likely has 2-3 stat freaks players and is able to score 1TTD much easier: so a safe draw and easy victory; it is not nuclear science, is just cunning.

But when these monoactivator dare activate new teams in Box with less than 15 games their WR drops miserably to less than 50%! Of course they are smart and they don't to this often. Smile

So it is NOT enough to play more games... you have to be able to play MORE formats , medium-high TV and looking forward for Redraft in competitive division.

Only in this case i would give some meaning to the "highest coach standing", otherwise for me is just a statistical measure not necessary linked to Coach's ability.