51 coaches online • Server time: 10:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chorfs, No Tackle?! ...goto Post It's NOT a Rumb...goto Post Stars only in BB3
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2024 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:

Core Rules

-Remove Star player Special Rules - Push to death zone
-Remove MB+2 from the game - but keep as an option on Fumbbl
-D3 nominated MVP return
-Rushes/GFI become more difficult, first 2+, 2nd 3+, 3rd 4+ - Disagree. But not strongly. DZ. But rename back to GFI!
- officious ref removed, bring back throw rock, BH max. Or only send off for one drive - Full casualty table including death. Twisted Evil
-blitz! kick off result counts as a normal team turn again, but retains the limited number of players can move rule
-HMP cannot be wildly inaccurate - Only because WI is removed to DZ
-Accurate and cannoneer returned to one skill
-cloud burster and safe pass back to one skill
-revert injujry/cas table to Blood Bowl 2016 version (which in turn fixes apo)
-remove redraft, introduce ageing roll from 4th skill, gain a Niggle if failed. 1d6 4+ to get no injury, 5+ on 5th skill 6+ on 6th skill.
-Get rid of Leap's max +1 modification
-hypnotic gaze has a variable roll after the skill so adjusted for specific players like Blood Lust (2+) (3+) etc...
-remove low cost linemen rule
-remove prayers of nuffle
-revert skills ups and stat increases to the previous version, but you do not have to take any skill when you skill up, you can opt not to and incur no price increase But can you take TWO skills next time?
-1 rr a turn again
-Diving catch now works no matter what if the ball ends up in the players tackle zone
-Claw and Mighty Blow are allowed to stack again
-sweltering means rushes are not possible - DZ
-bring back IGMEOY - Is fouling so good now that we actually need this?
- fix wildly inaccurate passes - just remove it? DZ

Go back to teams have 6 race specific stars... skaven shouldn't be popping up everywhere

Last edited by koadah on %b %12, %2024 - %12:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2024 - 10:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes IGMEOY is needed. Too many games are decided by blind luck fouling every turn. Igmeoy brought the game back to being about positional play. Not brain dead rolling

As for skills yeah. The skill is banked but not used.

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2024 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

About DE: Runners should have PA 2+. If there is the fear of Dump-Off getting too good, just give -1 to Dump-Off pass, but it's very important to have at least 1 player able to pass the ball because DE are the slowest Elven team. A PA 3+ Runner is basically a Leader caddy.
As an aside, I'd change Dump-Off like so:
when a Blitz against the Dump-Off player is declared, they can decide to throw the ball at any point of the attacker's move.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2024 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

when a Blitz against the Dump-Off player is declared, they can decide to throw the ball at any point of the attacker's move.

That doesn't work. Wizard used to work like this in LRB4 and you'd have to move 1 square and check to see if the opponent interrupted to use the wizard each square of movement. It was a horrible TT process.

Just revert Dump off to how it worked before it was fine. and give Runners Pa2+

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2024 - 01:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Every skill need to have it's own cost when the player levels up. Block should be considerably more expensive to get than Shadow. That would make the less valuable skill more useful when they are of nieshe use.

Wildly Inaccurate should only be in effect if the player passing the ball is standing next to an opposing player.

You could also add restrictions and negatives to gaining skills or at least stats. +1 ST also give -1 AG (minimum 4+) or +1 AG also give -1 AV (minimum 8+) for example. Players that has Dodge can not pick Block perhaps (unless that is too restrictive), Wrestle would be OK though. Or some other restriction such as extra cost for gaining certain combinations which are really powerful such as getting Dodge on a player that has Block would increase the cost of that player further. But maybe that become too complex.

Perhaps instead of the above each player position have their own skill development that can include or exclude certain skills. So each player might have a few options at each level and some are mutually exclusive and cost of the player are based on the path taken. Would make players more static but certainly more balanced and more "useless" skills would be used.

The only thing I want is for players to be less obviously all the same basic skills just maybe taken in different orders and more "useless skills" part of the game.

My most wanted things for a new Blood Bowl ruleset.
Gridironman

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2024 - 03:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm annoyed that they haven't even built out the remainder of the teams of legend.

The pass system needs to be further incentivized.

The Block spam is removed from all linemen and replaced with brawler, if people cry fluff for dwarves aren't they known for brawling, lmao?

A reworking of new teams to make them more unique and competitive.

Underworld Alliance reimagining.

A larger dice system that is loosely proportioned around the current dice, i.e. d6 is terrible for most boardgame systems and legitimately perfect for backgammon. Yes, you would still tag to earn 2 dice still.

Retain the changes to the vampire team. I will provide respect where it is due and say that the employee that built that team deserves to take a lead role at the company, no comment on the decisions made for 2020 but those are quite obviously bad.

Guard does not stack for more skill diversity. So guard +1 is max. It keeps the basic math low but is healthier for game diversity with teams that are built differently with of course min maxxing for each team type.

Seconding that block should always be weighted as a secondary to parrot the comment above mine.

A fun addition is a .1 point for kicking the ball from any square on the field with difficulty being lessened by how close you are to the opponent's endzone and close you are to being centered; the kick skill would be a RR. If I ran an in person league this rule would be implemented. The kick skill will be a built in RR for kicking a .1 field goal. Field goals do not happen after a TD but are a desperation score. Socre turn 8 and the opponent can TTM or desperation kick; good fun but not for the smelly min maxxers sure.

On the topic of fun, it is time to fix or drop hail Mary pass.

It is almost obviated, but the SPP skill progression system needs to deviate back to 2016 rules. Random primaries are unbalanced. However, retain 20k for primaries, 40k for secondaries, 40k for AG+, 20k for MA+, 20k for PA+, 10k for AV+, BUT 50k for ST+.

I am not a GW whale, I will never buy their paperback rules ever again, because it was so muddled that they needed a mountain of FAQs, we are more sophisticated here than 40k so we are harder to trick twice, sorry.

Last edited by Gridironman on %b %21, %2024 - %03:%Aug; edited 2 times in total
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2024 - 09:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Gridironman wrote:
I'm annoyed that they haven't even built out the remainder of the teams of legend.

Looks like there is more money in new teams...

I wish they would get Khemri and Chaos Dwarf released though. High Elf I dont care about so much as you can use Elf Union models.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2024 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

One very minor change I would like to see:

Passing is currently the only measurement that treats diagonals differently, leading to that grid thing and that stupid plastic ruler on tabletop. Make the pass brackets 3/6/9/12 squares and allow diagonal measurement for simplicity.

For interceptions you could say something like 'If a line between the thrower's square and the destination square passes through the Tackle Zone of an opposing player, that player may attempt an interception'.

I just really don't like that whenever a pass happens on TT people have to keep reaching for references, rulers, and apps.
razmus

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2024 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

CAB wrote:
Every skill need to have it's own cost when the player levels up. Block should be considerably more expensive to get than Shadow. That would make the less valuable skill more useful when they are of nieshe use.

Oh, oh! The former economist in me wants there to be a skill 'free market', such that as the skill is in more use in the game... it gets more expensive! With all the players who start with Block it gets real expensive right off the bat. Dodge would start up there in cost too...

... that way as the niche skills come in and out of fashion, they'd vary in price.

"Why is my Shadowing 750 gold this month? It was only 600 last month!"

"Blame it on the elves my friend. Blame it on the elves."

"Wait... Hail Mary Pass is -500 gold? I get PAID to TAKE Hail Mary Pass?!?"

Drrek

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2024 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

People will sometimes suggest a non-d6 die system, but the variance of the d6 in this game is not a bug, its a feature and should never be changed

Blood bowl is supposed to be chaotic with high variance. That is not a problem with the design, that is intentional. The high variance gives less experienced coaches a shot against vetter coaches, and even then, the best coaches still have a high win rate.

BB has a lot of places it should be improved on. The dice system is not one of them.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2024 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I totally agree, but also it's a bit of a legacy of the era of game design it's from

If they made it now from scratch, it'd be very different
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2024 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Assuming the same number of rolls, 2D6 instead of 1D6 would have a better distribution.
The average of 2D6 is closer to the expected one than the one of a single D6 if you don't roll the dice infinite times.
A single match doesn't have infinite rolls, so, using 2D6 would be better.
Automatic failure and success could be nerfed a bit too.
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2024 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

There y'all go, tryin to get all serious. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2024 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Assuming the same number of rolls, 2D6 instead of 1D6 would have a better distribution.
The average of 2D6 is closer to the expected one than the one of a single D6 if you don't roll the dice infinite times.
A single match doesn't have infinite rolls, so, using 2D6 would be better.
Automatic failure and success could be nerfed a bit too.

Again, the automatic failure and automatic success are intentional. This game is intentionally high variance. If you don't like that, this isn't the game for you. I'm not saying that as a bad thing, there are tons of games out there with varying degrees of variance so that people of all kinds can find a level of it that suits them. No one type of game is inherently better than another.

This game, however, is deliberately high variance.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2024 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

We can't know for sure that the game is deliberately about high variance without asking the designers.
Second edition used 2D6 to work out the blocks and the passing.
It could be just sloppy design because, no matter how the rules are, people will still play the game and it's easier and cheaper to spit out a bad ruleset with bolted on FAQs than spending time to make good rules.
It could be just a way to simplify dice rolls too, rolling a D6 instead of 2 (thus taking into account more modifiers). Also, how much the variance must be high?
2D6 would not turn BB into a low variance game, it would just decrease a bit the variance.
16.66% automatic success and 16.66% automatic failure is a huge flaw.
 Jump to: