56 coaches online • Server time: 22:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Modification to catc...goto Post retired teamsgoto Post Chorfs, No Tackle?! ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sebco

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2024 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

NiozeH wrote:
Brother against ST5 isn't 50%. It is 5+

Yes. He is explaining why GW decided to add this -1 rule against ST5+ (as another coach didn't understand that choice). ;o)

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2024 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Do we know what the costs are going to be yet? Assuming they increase the price of Hobs to account for the skills it means they aren't viable as linos anymore. It is going to force players to buy a suboptimal player for emergency ball carrying, or devote both bulls to ball carrying in case the main one goes out. I don't like either prospect.

If they keep the cost the sameish you could create a pretty fun all Hob team and run a stab line on the LOS each turn, theoretically stabbing 5-9 times off the kickoff. Cycle in for a couple of multi-stabbers and you could be rolling a lot of armor checks on turn 1.
Cicuit

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2024 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

As I understand the stabby guys are separate from regular hob linemen
sebco

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2024 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

That's it. We'll have to wait a bit for confirmation but it should be 0-16 hobgoblin linemen at 40k (same profile as before) and 0-2 hobgoblin sneaky stabbas with Shadowing and Stab (don't know the cost yet but I suppose it will be 50k, 55k or 60k).

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2024 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing that I'm thinking about is that Sylvanian Spotlight teams will LOVE the new Iron Hard Skin, because they are allowed to use the (in)famous coaching staff : Professor Frönkelheim, they might end up getting Iron Hard Skin on a couple players that want to be tanks, such as mummies, tomb guardians, flesh golems.
This is a niche case, but it's definitely worth trying if the league lasts long enough.
Grod

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2024 - 01:57 Reply with quote Back to top

NiozeH wrote:
Decksign wrote:
Sp00keh wrote:
I dunno why they put such risk into it, or why it has the penalty against str5
It could have just been Stab, but GW can’t help themselves but must make new complicated rules for everything they release now, for some reason

Knocking down or placing prone a ST5 on a 4+ is too strong, especially if any other player with the same strength would need assists to do the same or has only 25% chance when going to -2D (also the fail chance is lower for breathing flames).

The biggest fear of coaches playing a big guy is to have their big guy fall on the ground and be useless.

Brother against ST5 isn't 50%. It is 5+

It's also a self-knockdown / turnover on a 1 or 2 vs S5+(because of the -1 modifier).

Oscar Wilde
Primarch

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2024 - 03:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Meh, I think if they remove tackle from the regular Dwarf roster they are basically killing them for long term leagues. This is a fairly major nerf to Chorfs, which is fine if that's the goal. As stated though, Zons are going to be an issue for a while.
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2024 - 09:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Primarch wrote:
Meh, I think if they remove tackle from the regular Dwarf roster they are basically killing them for long term leagues.

That's not true. Dwarves are still high tier 1 regardless of having Tackle to start with or not.

This has been well tested in SL and all it means is you need to give a few players Tackle instead of guard and Mighty Blow stand firm.

It just stops them being ridiculously OP vs stunties.

Sure amazons are an issue. But having dwarves as a specific hard counter to them is terrible game design. The zons Roster just needs am overhaul. They trued to in this edition but they didn't deal with the fundamental design problem in that team, which is the Dodge linewomen...

I can't wait for Tackle to be removed from dwarves. It's a step in the right direction design wise. No linemen should have block and Tackle as starter skills

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2024 - 10:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Primarch wrote:
Meh, I think if they remove tackle from the regular Dwarf roster they are basically killing them for long term leagues.

That's not true. Dwarves are still high tier 1 regardless of having Tackle to start with or not.

This has been well tested in SL and all it means is you need to give a few players Tackle instead of guard and Mighty Blow stand firm.

It just stops them being ridiculously OP vs stunties.

Sure amazons are an issue. But having dwarves as a specific hard counter to them is terrible game design. The zons Roster just needs am overhaul. They trued to in this edition but they didn't deal with the fundamental design problem in that team, which is the Dodge linewomen...

I can't wait for Tackle to be removed from dwarves. It's a step in the right direction design wise. No linemen should have block and Tackle as starter skills

Well, after removing 6 tackle and 2 block, i don't think they will be a tier 1 team.
If the rumors are true (flamesmith av10+, but no block), they will be a solid t2 , no more than that imho.

What has been tested in SL?
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2024 - 11:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I find them a bit boring to play CDs, which is why I don't play them very often. Now that they have nerfed tackle as well, it becomes yet another gift to the Amazons who, not by chance, are the roster that wins the most. So I think I won't use these new CDs (by the way is it true that centaurs aren't even included in the box but they have to be bought separately? I think they'll look good on GW's shop shelves and they can stay there imo)
Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2024 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

+1 to last Garion's post.
About Dwarfs in long term leagues: in theory, with Season Re-Draft, there should not be long term leagues. Seasons are supposed to trim the players. A league could last many Seasons, of course, but the teams should not be as developed as the long term could suggest.
Assuming a scenario of long term league without Re-Draft, then there is plenty of games to get Tackle on some Dwarfs (and Chaos Dwarfs). Both Dwarfs and Chaos Dwarfs are durable and tend to hoard SPPs over time.

For what is worth, if the Firesmiths have Block I will play the new Chaos Dwarf roster. The fact it has been a bit nerfed makes it more appealing to play for me.
Consider that, unless you are a Chaos Dwarf coach only, when you face them the games are more balanced without Tackle spam and this is positive for the meta.
Why people playing Stunties and Elves must have an even harder time playing vs them due to underpriced Tackle spam?
I never liked that design.
Since now the game is focussed about low TV, it's better that the strong tier 1 rosters get a bit nerfed.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %02, %2024 - %11:%Sep; edited 2 times in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2024 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I would hope that leagues could still be "long term". "Long term" does not mean "big teams". It means "long term"

Also, leagues can use whatever seasons parameter they like. e.g. Secret League looks like more like just a cut to 1600.

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2024 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, that's up to Commissioner. Generally speaking, long term suggests a bit of development.
I would use 1550 as hard TV cap, by the way.
1600 is already high.
That said, the current ruleset is meant to be played with Season Re-Draft implemented.
We can debate about a Season's length, but some Re-Draft is necessary, because the stat boosts are guaranteed and over time every team can have one or more stat freaks.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %02, %2024 - %11:%Sep; edited 2 times in total
Jayward

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2024 - 11:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the lack of Tackle doesn't bother me in a League format; most teams do fine with one or two as they progress, and a Bull Centaur with Tackle would be a fine sweeper.

Slightly more vexing in NAF format, as your block pieces aren't fast enough to be cover and you'll rarely get stacking options. But maybe Stab and Firebreathing can sort-of cover?

I think the bigger thing is the Flamesmiths reportedly not having Block and being AV9+. MV5 to compensate, supposedly, but you'd still be trading away the linemans' strength (Durability and good skills) whilst retaining their weaknesses (Slow and unagile) in return for a knock-off Projectile Vomit. Hopefully that's just doomsaying though
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2024 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

Why people playing Stunties and Elves must have an even harder time playing vs them due to Tackle spam?

Elves used to be good.

Right stuff cancels tackle on blocks or dodges helps the stunties.

How about just don't **** up the rules in the first place. Twisted Evil

Jump to: