27 coaches online • Server time: 08:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Modification to catc...goto Post retired teams
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2024 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Drrek wrote:
Sp00keh wrote:
I don't get why you're trying to police this

While I don't think this particular implementation would be good, when coaches are jerks to other coaches, especially new ones on a site where new coaches already lose a lot, it can drive them away. If we can nake the site friendlier, that is a good thing.

They can come to 145 Club Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2024 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure, but they don't always know that. Or, if they're experienced at playing elsewhere, it may not be appropriate.
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2024 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
Sure, but they don't always know that. Or, if they're experienced at playing elsewhere, it may not be appropriate.

Make sure that you tell 'em. Very Happy

I suspect that Fumbbl is already better than most online games.

A big, anonymous, online environment is always going to have some rough edges.

I'd say "just play league and report them to the commish".
Maybe I already did. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2024 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Leagues (although they are great) aren't what everyone is looking for in this game. There is enjoyment to be had with the random pickup game nature of C. "Report to the commish" is basically meaning "report ot the admins" in that context, which is why ways to help make the site be nicer is helpful
Garcangel

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2024 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

"in the end I should have won 3-2
if I hadn't had that pick up snake
so I didn't steal anything
totally deserved win for me"

If this comment offends you, i think you have to work on yourself. As awambawamb suggested, change your reactions.
Last thing we need is "shaming" people for just talking.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2024 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

It could be important to point out, if we want to nitpick about being nice, friendly fair etc., that I wrote "grats" twice when my opponent scored his 2 TDs, while he didn't write anything when I scored my own 2 TDs.
Should I have been mad at him for that silence according to your fairness obsession? I know that some people are not talkative (due to various reasons: they could either not like an opponent or they are simply interested in playing the game in a robotic way without wasting time with a chat or they want to focus on the gameplay or they could have had a bad day at work, but they are not necessarily bad people, it's a matter of different characters and personalities). If you are so obsessed by being nice, friendly etc. why didn't you point out that double lack of "grats" in the game chat?
The logical answer I find is: you are biased.
If I write something (whatever I write, no matter if good, bad or neutral) I'm an evil unsporstsmanlike guy, if my opponents are silent for all game (apart from hi, gl, hf and gg) and without writing "grats" (which should be important for you, if you care so much about being nice in chat) then there is nothing wrong for you.
You are not judging chat in an objective way. You use double standard to confirm your bias, that's it.
About judging Major gameplay: it's always easy judging people from the comfortable armchair in the spectator chat.
Playing Major games is a bit harder than it may look from the spectator chat and yes, there is always a luck factor in winning with penalty kicks (I had spared a rr, though, so I had a little advantage edit. rrs don't affect kicks in BB2020).
Last, but not least: the comment at the end of game DOESN'T mean I thought that my opponent played bad (otherwise I would have said that openly).
It's better not to jump to conclusions just by reading a chat.
My point was: I didn't feel I robbed the win with the penalty kicks because I had good odds to score a 1TTD at end of Half 1 but a snake stopped it. I never thought that my opponent was bad (I call him Herr Doktor, you can ask him if you want), and not in a disrespectful way.
I just didn't chat a lot with him because he's not a chatty guy (at least with me) and I didn't want to bother him with lot of chatting.
I try to self-regulate my chat: if somebody is talkative, I chat a lot, if I see somebody is silent, I refrain from chatting.
I didn't even whine in the whole game (oooh! Surprised), let me at least write an end game comment! Very Happy
I think that a game is more fun to watch if there is something to read too. Very Happy

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %12, %2024 - %12:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2024 - 07:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Rerolls dont help on kicks.

Its just rolling a die 5 times to get a win.

But yea, some do call rolling die eh skill.

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2024 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice to know, in old rules rrs affected the kicks so I thought they did in current rules too.
Since I thought rrs affected the kicks, my psyonic Ork energy affected the rolls.
Very Happy
Happy_Amateur

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2024 - 04:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Lucky theres no review process for Haiku thread involvement.
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2024 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Yuri_the_Scourge wrote:

More of these gems please!

Another pearl of wisdom written by a well-known champion of humility at the end of a lucky draw:

"when dice average out a Legend can't lose"

Very Happy