47 coaches online • Server time: 12:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vampires Rule Questi...goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post Fair Play Standing
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2024 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

my 2 cents
- start playing in leagues. L145 perfect place. Join discord! Most of nice coaches use discord,
- don't play competitive Box till you do not have some experience (and at least for a long period avoid to activate in Box teams with more than 15 games played).
- At the beginning try to play with tiers1 team (orcs, Undead).
- watch replays of the top 10 of the site. Don't necessary look the win rate or coach ranking, take the most successful in BlackBox Trophy https://fumbbl.com/p/boxtrophy: true best players of this site plays (or played) there.
-play RRR when you have some confidence: https://fumbbl.com/p/group?op=view&group=2294 one of the best tournament in this site IMO.
- never concede: NEVER.
good luck and welcome!

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2024 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

My advice is to pick a team which you like and think you understand, and run with that.

Blackbox on FUMBBL is where the best coaches play (so if you are new to the game you will likely get beaten there at first). But you can also learn by spectating Blackbox games (and Royal Rookie Rumble games). I found this very useful when transitioning from tabletop to FUMBBL. You can spectate completed games by using the replay function.

The draw system in Blackbox is based on Team Value (TV). Teams which keep their TV lean and focussed have a big advantage in Blackbox. It took me a while to adjust to this.

Good luck!
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2024 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

yes. Definitively! Spectating is key: you will learn a lot by spectating (or also watching match replay) more than reading 100 times one rulebook!

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2024 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Made my Orc team there called the walking snots , I've signed up on the 145 page
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2024 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Kelpies2021 wrote:
Hi all my friend gave me a copy of the official bb rulebook if I read through that will it help me learn the rules for the game on here?

Welcome aboard sir,

Here's a good online resource for you as well:
Blood Bowl Tactics

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2024 - 09:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Kelpies2021 wrote:
Made my Orc team there called the walking snots , I've signed up on the 145 page

Why zero RR?

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2024 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Kelpies2021 wrote:
Should I create a team and just dive into games ?

Do you have miniatures ?
If so you can practice the basics, blocks, assists, defensive and offensive set ups.
Familiarise yourself with the limitations players have through their stats (what does it mean to have MA6, 7, 4, same for AG and ST).

New players also give the impression that every turn is hard to plan, whereas experienced coaches have simplified their decision making, so you need to have a good grasp of what can be done in a turn.
Cicuit

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2024 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Kelpies,
Make sure to check starting rosters here:
https://bbtactics.com/strategy/rosters/bb2020-starting-rosters/

Blood Bowl offers a lot of options when creating a team, so it can be overwhelming to understand what works and what doesn't. And yes, you do need Re-Rolls.
Bluegill87

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2024 - 06:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Are Humans still the beginner friendly team they once were?

EDIT: I know they got the token Flings for some TTM shenanigans but otherwise seems like the same old humies (with some better Throwers, at least on paper)
Drrek

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2024 - 07:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Bluegill87 wrote:

EDIT: I know they got the token Flings for some TTM shenanigans but otherwise seems like the same old humies (with some better Throwers, at least on paper)

I'd say more friendly to be honest. They were a below average team before and now they are pretty good, so they are more forgiving than before.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2024 - 13:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Humans now have PA 2+ Throwers, Halflings (TTM is not a super reliable option, but still an option), Break Tackle gives 2+ dodges to Blitzers, Linemen can randomize General skills (at least 5 General skills are good on them at 10 TV).
They are not a super good team, but for sure better than before, especially at low TV.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2024 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Blitzers and Catchers are just cheaper, too. The team's great strength was always in its economics, and multiRR and random skills both play directly into that, while the team's economics have actually gotten better.

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2024 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, and the Thrower can take Leader to keep the TV low.
Bluegill87

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2024 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Blitzers and Catchers are just cheaper, too. The team's great strength was always in its economics, and multiRR and random skills both play directly into that, while the team's economics have actually gotten better.

This actually sounds quite nice right here, team eco is huge on any team and cheaper is always great. Thinking I'll have to boot up a new team now hehe.
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2024 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Bluegill87 wrote:

I find Humans very versatile and if played well they are one of the few teams that can really annoy all races and have several option to score (included 1TTD in emergency situation).

Certainly at low-mid TV they are a pretty efficient team thanks to having a very good Thrower and some basic skills (included a potential killer MB , good speed and AV in average). The choice of starting roster is very important. personally I prefer to renounce to 3 RR in favor to longer roster but require a careful manage of RR;
A) 4 blitzers, 1 ogre 1 thrower 1 catcher 4 linos 1 halfling (12 players) and 2RR if you want to have some solidity in AV but you have to be very careful to protect your only catcher.
Another very good starting roster because it is little bit longer (but weaker in AV) is B) 4 blitzers, 1 ogre, 1 Thrower 2 catchers, 3 linos 2 halflings (13 players) and 2 RRs (in this case you have to use one halfling to foul like desperate).
But if you are a beginner probably you should choose one of the two variations indicated here with 3 RR
https://fumbbl.com/help:BB20HumanSetUp

Despite the fact that in my opinion humans can be very competitive in the first 15 games if we look at the last 5 Trophy's edition very few coaches in the top 5 have chosen them in their squads (I think only Doc used them in BT11. I speak the top 5 winners): It would be interesting to understand why because if this roster is efficient at low-mid TV is unclear why so many expert coach decided don't use in their Trophy's squad (at least this is unclear to me) ; maybe the cost is little bit higher (tiers2 in Trophy cost 3 , Dark Elf also cost 3 can be debatable if DE team is more efficient below 15 games than a Human: for sure as Team Tiers2 I find Humans much better performers (at low TV) and easier to use than Nerco, Chaos Dwarf, Thomb King for example... Then beyond a certain TV a lot depends on several factors (like stat freak on a catcher for instance).

At medium/high TV, in a permanent competitive league without redraft probably they are not the best roster to use : otherwise it is not explained why some sly serial box mono-activators players - who use to play 300 games with one team - rarely use them.

There are some interesting leagues for whom is interested to play and learn how use Humans at mid/high TV just look inside the site.