35 coaches online • Server time: 17:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New special rule for...goto Post Open [L]eague Sprint...goto Post New Team Page Beta
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SeriliKirico

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2024 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

That may seem un-orthodox a bit, but still doesn't seem like too broken, especially when taking into account how elven team were nerfed in the new ruleset.

For all elven teams, mobility is number one defining feature. So what if any team under Elven Kingdoms League teams tag would be granted next special rule:
    - Once per half you can re-roll any Dodge or Jump Over/Leap (and may be even Pass) action any of your "regular" player (of types typical for your roster, including journeymen) does for free.
    - This re-roll can't be negated by any other means
    - (!) You can even use it to re-roll a roll that has already been unsuccessfully rerolled before (optionally, it could work as Pro in such case, if it appears too powerful, so only 66% chance of re-rolling such roll with this rule); it's still also applied to Loner players the same way as TRR (so you need to roll for Loner first).

So, it plays to the strength of the team and only helps you if you use it as intended, it's not just "give them a free reroll for any action". And it gives back some of the potential that was taken from elves in the new rules.
SeriliKirico

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2024 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

If my math doesn't blow, in case of a Leap into a cage with 50% chance of success, that will decrease your chance to fail that singular action from 25% to 17% if you're willing to use BOTH TRR and this new rule (to re-roll again after failed TRR roll) - assuming you also roll for 3+ before using this rule for this special case. So isn't exactly that big, but still may help the squishy elves where it's needed.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2024 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Or.. if your opponent has an agi 1+ break tackle player and only needs a single dodge to score, you can no longer even hope for a failed snake eyes to stop them.

Without the reroll a failed reroll rule, this is just giving them an extra free (limited, but really, when was the last game you saw an elf team play where they use at least one team reroll pm a dodge? Yeah, it's just a free team reroll)

And that only costs 50k. If there are problems with elves (which I vehemently disagree with, my Win rates didn't change going into 2020 rules), a 50k bonus doesn't help. And even if it did, allowing it to reroll rerolls just means the thing people hate the most about elves - that they only lose on snake eyes - gets even worse.

This is a bad idea from both sides of the pitch.
SeriliKirico

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2024 - 02:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
Or.. if your opponent has an agi 1+ break tackle player and only needs a single dodge to score, you can no longer even hope for a failed snake eyes to stop them.

Didn't get that part, tbh. It is still a reroll, even when it's double-reroll. So it still can fail, the chance of failure is just lower.

It's not guaranteed that this reroll will live till that very last turn in the game for such situation to happen, as your opponent may decide to use it earlier on another crucial roll. It's chance to trigger in case of double-reroll could be adjusted too, making it 4+ roll instead. So you'll have to decide whether to use it on some important dodge during the half, or you'll be saving it to slightly increase a chance of some crucial action that may never happened.

Still can't agree it's just team reroll either. On almost any elven team half of the team usually lack any skills due to high injury rate. They become the main source of TO as they have to either dodge out or throw blocks against somebody who keeps basing them (most of bash teams do). And this reroll won't help them to block better in such case, only to move around better. So, for example, you can't use it to reroll a crucial block if you've spent it on leaping. And this is in fact another incentive to burn it earlier in the turn, to save TRRs for future. What make the scenario you worried about before even less likely.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2024 - 06:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Right. 2 different concerns.

Concern 1: to the elf coach, this is just a free team reroll.
That's the same as giving every elf team 50k free TV.
Either they don't need that because they're fine (my opinion) so no need to do it or (if we assume I'm wrong) 50k is not going to make any significant difference and it's still not worth doing.

Concern 2: to the opposing coach: the thing that bothers opponents of elves the most is the feeling that 'unless the elves roll 1s, they win, no matter what i do!'
Skill rerolls and team rerolls make it 'unless the elf rolls snake eyes, they win, no matter what I do!'
This proposed rule, in the feelings of people who already get frustrated playing against elves (and as a feeling, it doesn't matter how realistic or common the occurrence is, because humans focus on negative), will now have to say 'unless the elves roll triple snakes, they win, no matter what i do!'. This is a bad thing to do from an experience point of view, similar to clawpomb being bad (even if it wasn't actually an auto win skill set, it was still hated).
Drrek

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2024 - 06:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, if elfs need a boost (I'd say they do, but not as much as some elf coaches seem to think, their win rates are fine honestly), its that they need a little boost to survivability in terms of team building. The biggest problem for elfs is that they struggle with attrition, as in elf teams lose too many players to permanent injuries and death, so teams can just end up dying, even if their win rate is still fine before that point.

But to buff them a bit there, they don't need in game boosts to make them better at what they are already good at.
 Jump to: