44 coaches online • Server time: 16:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Automatic team unstu...goto Post Playing for the Wingoto Post Coach Rating is a Jo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you risk it for a biscuit?
Yes - I strive to win
42%
 42%  [ 11 ]
No - I take a safe draw
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
N/A - situational init
34%
 34%  [ 9 ]
Pie
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 26

BeanBelly

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2024 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you really strive to win a match rather than draw?

Say you defend First Half with great vigor and application, only for the opposition coach to pull off an unlikely score: perhaps a Long Bomb to a Rotter in two tackle zones.

Second Half do you play steady for a Draw, or do you try score fast and risk it all for the Win?

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2024 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been taking the risk a bit recently in Black Box; particularly if up on players. It has generally backfired, and I lose 1-2. On the other hand I think it makes the game more interesting, so I'm going to keep stretching for the Win and just try to be a touch smarter about it: Get Gud

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2024 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no single answer depends on the game situation and the target

Some coach play for CR only and they will sell their mother for a safe draw against a very risky victory in order not to risk to loose to much CR

In general if you play the Trophy trying always to win is the best choice.

Specifically I think you refer to this match
https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4575682

IMO here you made the best choice trying to win it by scoring fast on your turn 3 2nd half : Your opponent is starting drive 4 with 6 drunkards 2Ulf and 1mule and you have 11 elves, 3 skilled + 1RR.

It was just bad luck with the quad skull and double both down and everything was ok for your opponent (even dodge to 4+ without reroll where you fail 3+ dodge with the dodge skill)

I don't think anyone can reproach you for making a bad choice

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2024 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

1-1 draws are the worst! Down with draws! Make draws worth less than a loss! (OK fine, make 2 draws worth less than a win, but 7 draws worth more than 2 wins)

Super ideally.. make a 1-1 draw worth less than any other draw. If you want to make 2 other draws worth the same as a win, I'm ok with that.
BeanBelly

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2024 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes new rules proposals! now we start cooking popcorn

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2024 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

It just kinda depends. You know. On how I feel.

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2024 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

As long as the win is in sight, I will always go that far.

Some are harder to find than others though.
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2024 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

you could increase the prize for winning over drawing, like in soccer where if you win you get 3 points and if you draw 1 point. This can be easily done in Trophy, but not sure how (and if possible) to adapt to the FUMBBL Glicko2 CR system: I don't dare to ask without raising a popcorn avalanche

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2024 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

In one-off games, trying to win is often not advisable, especially if the opponent is lower ranked. That assuming you care about increasing your CR points. If you play for the thrill of snatching a win from the tie's jaws then you could go for it.
In important games, such as tournament ones, Trophy, Majors etc. trying to win is more advisable (the context is important, it's not possible to give a sure answer, because there are many variables, such as players left, rrs left, turns left etc.).
Carthage

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2024 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Anything that isn't winning, isn't winning.
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2024 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Ofcourse you play for win.

You dont gain anything from a tie.

Only idiots and bad players play for a tie in a enviroment where outcome really does not matter, like random black box games outside BBT.

And even then its just sad for not going for win as you really dony hsve anything to lose ;p

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2024 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

MerryZ wrote:
Ofcourse you play for win.

You dont gain anything from a tie.

Only idiots and bad players play for a tie in a enviroment where outcome really does not matter, like random black box games outside BBT.

And even then its just sad for not going for win as you really dony hsve anything to lose ;p

Only idiots... Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2024 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

CR points can be lost in case of defeat while trying to win. This is not advisable if you are trying to climb the rankings, but horses for courses. In the end it's a matter of goals.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2024 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Right, need to specify - my suggestion also should state that CR should also be scored where a 1-1 isn't as good as other draws! Down with draws!!
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2024 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

But CR points is not ranking ?

Its not a ladder, just a points you gain from playing games.

Closest fumbbl have for ladder is BBT and even that is mostly just luck on who you pair against.

Playing for CR on farmed teams on kindergarden 15+ game teams is just so sad. Especially if you go for a tie against oppo that is like hundreds of points below.