50 coaches online • Server time: 21:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Playing for the Wingoto Post Bretonnian Team with...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Fenris83

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2024 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello,

I'm brainstorming some house rules for a Breton team for our league according to current rules. I realize that the Imperial Noble team is replacing the old Bretons, but I still think that the Bretons deserve their own roster due to their peculiarities.

Of course, I also know the Breton rosters of Plasmoid and Garion and my design is certainly strongly inspired by them. In general, Garion's thoughts on the names and activities of the positions don't seem to be dissimilar to mine. Especially when it comes to the squires and the idea of them handing the ball over to the knights rather than passing anything. Similarly, I think Bretons should favor running play.

However, I wonder why you rarely see roster designs with negative traits. At least I'm not aware of any. Has this ever been tested?

Especially with regard to Breton society (shit rolls downhill Wink) I immediately have a kind of animosity cascade in my head.

The knight thinks everyone sucks and wants the most glory for himself -> Animosity (all team-mates). Animosity here stands for both a dislike of those of lower rank and a thirst for glory towards other knights.

Player positions that represent the lower nobility (Squire, Yeomen) think the Peasants suck, but have to get along with their liege -> Animosity (Peasant Linemen)

And the peasant lineman is the poor devil at the bottom, without animosity but also without talent and development potential. As Garion wrote, this should simply be the worst human lineman.

I also remember reading a very amusing text about Breton teams where it said that the Peasants are more or less drafted in to fill the gaps in the team. That actually argues for Loner(X+) on the Peasant but that would be too much.

Additionally, I'm currently playing around with a house rule called Encumbered. In my head, the Breton Knights are player positions that should be too good for the game, or at least have extreme potential, similar to the Vampires. To make this possible, I had considered using a kind of negative trait, similar to the vampires, to dampen this a little. In my opinion, you can play around with the absurdity of a player in full plate armor. Encumbered (X+) means that this player must roll the dice if he wants to stand up, with adjacent players giving him +1 to the roll. On a natural 1 or a result below the value in the bracket, the player remains down.

In return, the knight receives MA: 6, ST: 3, AG 3+, PA 4+, AV: 10+ as well as Dauntless, Stand Firm and Juggernaut at a cost of 110,000/115,000 and Primary GS, Secondary AP

Last but not least, I would consider adding a team special rule that prohibits knights and squires from fouling and supporting fouls. I think the Bright Crusaders were sold as the most honest team in the league in the 3rd edition.

Could this work or am I completely barking up the wrong tree here? I actively played Blood Bowl from 1993 to 2010, so my judgment may be a little rusty.

Best Regards

Marc
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2024 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

If you could post the positionals w/ all their stats, skills & costs like you see in the rule book, it would be easier to evaluate your vision. I quite like the fouling part, but the encumbered might be a bit much & hamper the team considering the animosity you suggest adding.

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2024 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are interested in a league where you can test this out, I run a league where you use a DnD inspried teambuilder sheet to design teams and compete against others using the same constraints to make their own team. There are a few teams with mass negatraits with one of them making it to the championship. https://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&team_id=1170068
Shoot me a message if you are interested.
 Jump to: