39 coaches online • Server time: 00:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL Communitygoto Post Custom Team League F...goto Post Recruiting now - Gre...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How do you rate the FUMBBL Community?
Great!: I feel very good here, it is one of the main reason why I am registered on FUMMBL. I actively participate in all community activities and find the vast majority of members to be friendly, sociable and inclusive.
53%
 53%  [ 14 ]
It's interesting! I like to write on forums from time to time and read the discussions but is not my primary target to be here.
26%
 26%  [ 7 ]
I care the Community and I would like to be accepted more by FUMBBL Community, but I don't feel myself well accepted.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The communityis does not interest me a lot. I mainly think about playing. I rarely read the forums and I don't participate in Discord
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
FUMBBL community is a closed caste made up of a few nerds-friends.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I have a bad opinion of the FUMBBL community. It is mostly frequented by haters/trolls who only seek a fight.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
The community is too oriented towards those who speak English well, I would like to participate more but the language (and jargon) is a barrier.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I throw a pie on my face because I AM THE COMMUNITY TROLL!
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 26

RDaneel

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2024 - 11:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Poll and Pop-Corn thread of the week!

How do you rate the FUMBBL community?
Did you find real friends on FUMBBL that you also meet in real life?
Do you think it is an open and friendly Community?
Is the Community aspect important to you or are you here just to play bloodbowl and don't care at all the Community aspect?
Do you feel accepted by the community and/or get along well with most of its members?
What is the difference between FUMBBL and a video game?

I am launching this thread to all those who wish to comment on the beauties (or dark sides) of the FUMBBL community!

Don't be shy, have your say!

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2024 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

RDaneel wrote:

What is the difference between FUMBBL and a video game?
!

Well, I'm never going back to the Steam forum. Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2024 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

it's a kinda nice bunch of people, we got some party poopers but who doesn't have "that" friend. and yet, we love all, accept all, T16 foul all

Carthage

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2024 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Yay positivity
BeanBelly

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2024 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Lovely place all in all. We have a very level headed leader in Christer

Post 14 Posted: Oct 05, 2024 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

BeanBelly wrote:
Lovely place all in all. We have a very level headed leader in Christer

This.

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2024 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's spice up this discussion:

One of the main reasons I am here is for the community.

If I wanted to play bloodbowl online I think I'd have alternatives today like BB3 but whoever i spoke i hear that has some technical limitations. Looking the video i founded on youtube seems me quite nice but that's not why I don't play it BB3.

I think the very interesting and unique aspect of FUMBBL is its community. With its rules that can sometimes seem too ‘rigid’ but that make it different among the jungle of social networks without moderation haunted by keyboards lions.

The FUMBBL community reminds me a bit of many years ago... before the internet era. When the social was based on the BBSs. Those of you with a few white hairs like me know what I'm talking about.

Playing online in the vastness of the network without control makes me feel really lonely. I used to play Starcraft years ago with some friends: there were like 12 of us would get together and play 2 against 2 or 1 against 1, while everyone else would log into the spectator room and do the commentary. The funniest thing was not the game but the commentary. We laughed and joked about the mistakes, about the good things. It was so much fun. Then there's no time, friends do other things but I'm left with that nostalgia. Playing Starcraft alone on Battle Net was like doing a series of crosswords in the long run it bored. OK you could play for the competition but it was alienating. So I stopped.

The BBSs where I used to write (years ago) were generally frequented by Italians who spoke Italian. FUMBBL is a fairly international community although, looking at the figures (I can't remember where it is but there was a link that indicated the origin of the COACHes - at least those who declared it) it indicates a preponderance of ‘Anglophones/North Americans’ followed by France, Italy and Spain where Blood Bowl has a fairly well followed tradition

The risk one has in such an ‘international’ community is to misunderstand and/or unintentionally offend people. I, for example, when I write on the forums I let myself go quite a bit, I'm just careful not to PERSONALLY offend someone (sometimes I have done so and received the necessary slaps) but there are times when I write a tirade of maybe 10 lines and I find people saying ‘that's enough, you've broken up, we can't take it anymore’.
This is the cultural aspect.
For someone of my cultural background sometimes silence is worse than an insult. Today I had the example during a tough game where my opponent didn't say a word even answering some questions on the chat and I interpreted it as rudeness. But then I realised he was furious at the way the game was going and rather than insult me he remained mute and silent.

This aspect of MUTUAL understanding is crucial if an international community such as ours is to continue to function and not only attract new coaches but to keep those that are there for the long term

When I used to go to BBS once a year we would meet to celebrate the community with a nice pizza. This cannot be done in FUMBBL because we are scattered all over the earth. But when there are international tournaments it would be nice to get together. It happens sometimes and I hope, family commitments permitting, to one day meet some of you in person.

There you go. I have written my daily papyrus!

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2024 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I mixed two topics before: BBS and Starcraft. Of course these refers two different period: BBS we speak aroung mid / end of 90ies . Starcrafr is a videogame developed in 1998 i think with several versions but the "commentary" room was possible only since 2006 or 2008 forwards... for technical limitations on network speed before 2004 i think it was not so easy. Now i don't remember well the date, so many years passed...

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2024 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't understand the pie thing. Except that I'm good as it is right now.

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2024 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

RDaneel wrote:
Let's spice up this discussion:

One of the main reasons I am here is for the community.

If I wanted to play bloodbowl online I think I'd have alternatives today like BB3 but whoever i spoke i hear that has some technical limitations. Looking the video i founded on youtube seems me quite nice but that's not why I don't play it BB3.

I think the very interesting and unique aspect of FUMBBL is its community. With its rules that can sometimes seem too ‘rigid’ but that make it different among the jungle of social networks without moderation haunted by keyboards lions.

The FUMBBL community reminds me a bit of many years ago... before the internet era. When the social was based on the BBSs. Those of you with a few white hairs like me know what I'm talking about.

Playing online in the vastness of the network without control makes me feel really lonely. I used to play Starcraft years ago with some friends: there were like 12 of us would get together and play 2 against 2 or 1 against 1, while everyone else would log into the spectator room and do the commentary. The funniest thing was not the game but the commentary. We laughed and joked about the mistakes, about the good things. It was so much fun. Then there's no time, friends do other things but I'm left with that nostalgia. Playing Starcraft alone on Battle Net was like doing a series of crosswords in the long run it bored. OK you could play for the competition but it was alienating. So I stopped.

The BBSs where I used to write (years ago) were generally frequented by Italians who spoke Italian. FUMBBL is a fairly international community although, looking at the figures (I can't remember where it is but there was a link that indicated the origin of the COACHes - at least those who declared it) it indicates a preponderance of ‘Anglophones/North Americans’ followed by France, Italy and Spain where Blood Bowl has a fairly well followed tradition

The risk one has in such an ‘international’ community is to misunderstand and/or unintentionally offend people. I, for example, when I write on the forums I let myself go quite a bit, I'm just careful not to PERSONALLY offend someone (sometimes I have done so and received the necessary slaps) but there are times when I write a tirade of maybe 10 lines and I find people saying ‘that's enough, you've broken up, we can't take it anymore’.
This is the cultural aspect.
For someone of my cultural background sometimes silence is worse than an insult. Today I had the example during a tough game where my opponent didn't say a word even answering some questions on the chat and I interpreted it as rudeness. But then I realised he was furious at the way the game was going and rather than insult me he remained mute and silent.

This aspect of MUTUAL understanding is crucial if an international community such as ours is to continue to function and not only attract new coaches but to keep those that are there for the long term

When I used to go to BBS once a year we would meet to celebrate the community with a nice pizza. This cannot be done in FUMBBL because we are scattered all over the earth. But when there are international tournaments it would be nice to get together. It happens sometimes and I hope, family commitments permitting, to one day meet some of you in person.

There you go. I have written my daily papyrus!

I can understand that you came here, at least until BB3 is in better shape( I was for all the stunties to be released at least). On FUMBBL we have the latest releases added to the game and can create funky leagues.

About your opponent being silent, I can understand him. Sometimes it's better to say nothing than being mean, we are humans after all. It's hard to blame someone to be non talkative on a game like BB, where many of your actions are defined by rolls and it can frustrating.

Keep in mind we are from all around the world. You can be very cautious with what you're writing and still offense someone. Yes you can say or write something and it can be lost in translation. Don't overthink it and just be yourself.
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2024 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

kozak wrote:
I don't understand the pie thing. Except that I'm good as it is right now.

The Pie thing is an old (possibly very old) nod to it's inclusion on every poll worthy of participating in, even I don't remember when it started and I've been pretty active since 2008...