78 coaches online • Server time: 20:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL Communitygoto Post Custom Team League F...goto Post Recruiting now - Gre...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How do you rate the FUMBBL Community?
Great!: I feel very good here, it is one of the main reason why I am registered on FUMMBL. I actively participate in all community activities and find the vast majority of members to be friendly, sociable and inclusive.
44%
 44%  [ 22 ]
It's interesting! I like to write on forums from time to time and read the discussions but is not my primary target to be here.
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
I care the Community and I would like to be accepted more by FUMBBL Community, but I don't feel myself well accepted.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
The communityis does not interest me a lot. I mainly think about playing. I rarely read the forums and I don't participate in Discord
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
FUMBBL community is a closed caste made up of a few nerds-friends.
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
I have a bad opinion of the FUMBBL community. It is mostly frequented by haters/trolls who only seek a fight.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
The community is too oriented towards those who speak English well, I would like to participate more but the language (and jargon) is a barrier.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I throw a pie on my face because I AM THE COMMUNITY TROLL!
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 50

WhatBall

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2024 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure what the last few years have been like, but I missed you all. <3

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2024 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

All????? Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2024 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:

Hey Whatball Smile Welcome back!!!

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2024 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
WhatBall wrote:

Thanks!

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2024 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm happy if I can bring back old glory through these popcorn threads! !

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2024 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
Garion wrote:
WhatBall wrote:

Thanks!

Are you back for long?
If you fancy making some icons we always need help Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2024 - 10:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The social aspect of FUMBBL is important to me.

I play predominantly (but not exclusively) in Blackbox, in BBT tourneys. I freely admit that it has taken me 3-4 years to adjust to the format.

I used to play quite a lot in face-to-face tourneys, but my lifestyle restricts the amount of travel I am now able to undertake. I used also to play a fair amount in a face-to-face league (including being league organiser), but again my lifestyle (I increasingly split my time between 2 locations) makes this difficult.

I am in New Zealand, and play predominantly in the European evening time zone (NZ early mornings), when FUMBBL and Blackbox are at their busiest (it is typically very difficult to find opponents in NZ evenings) . This suits me, as I can play without distractions, and without interfering with my day.

I have the advantages that I can touch-type (helpful for in-game chat) and that I speak a small number of European languages (French, Italian and German - though I rarely use the latter as the English of the Germans is usually way better than my German!).

I find most often (of course not always) that opponents are very sporting and sociable in chat, which adds an important dimension to the game. It is a game of dice after all, and swings in fortune are common. Being a turn-based game, I find that the opponent's turn is a good time for sociable banter. This also (I find) helps (within reason) to distract and relax the mind so that you are fresh for your own turn. An ability to laugh at events and at yourself is, I think, a nice help - something for which in-game chat is perfectly designed.

Hope that helps.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2024 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
WhatBall wrote:
Garion wrote:
WhatBall wrote:

Thanks!

Are you back for long?

Not sure. Might try to get a few games in.

How is the icon factory? Is the large icon project still a thing? Is there a thread I should check out?

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2024 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
Garion wrote:
WhatBall wrote:
Garion wrote:
WhatBall wrote:

Thanks!

Are you back for long?

Not sure. Might try to get a few games in.

How is the icon factory? Is the large icon project still a thing? Is there a thread I should check out?

Icon makers are low in number at the moment, large icon project is an ongoing thing but moving very slowly.

The best place is the fumbbl discord, jump on there sometime and give me a shout. Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2024 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

big icon thread; https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=32200&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2024 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

smeborg wrote:
The social aspect of FUMBBL is important to me.

I play predominantly (but not exclusively) in Blackbox, in BBT tourneys. I freely admit that it has taken me 3-4 years to adjust to the format.

I used to play quite a lot in face-to-face tourneys, but my lifestyle restricts the amount of travel I am now able to undertake. I used also to play a fair amount in a face-to-face league (including being league organiser), but again my lifestyle (I increasingly split my time between 2 locations) makes this difficult.

I am in New Zealand, and play predominantly in the European evening time zone (NZ early mornings), when FUMBBL and Blackbox are at their busiest (it is typically very difficult to find opponents in NZ evenings) . This suits me, as I can play without distractions, and without interfering with my day.

I have the advantages that I can touch-type (helpful for in-game chat) and that I speak a small number of European languages (French, Italian and German - though I rarely use the latter as the English of the Germans is usually way better than my German!).

I find most often (of course not always) that opponents are very sporting and sociable in chat, which adds an important dimension to the game. It is a game of dice after all, and swings in fortune are common. Being a turn-based game, I find that the opponent's turn is a good time for sociable banter. This also (I find) helps (within reason) to distract and relax the mind so that you are fresh for your own turn. An ability to laugh at events and at yourself is, I think, a nice help - something for which in-game chat is perfectly designed.

Hope that helps.

i read several times this and to be honest i was never so agree with some answer. I subscribe every single word of this post.
The social aspect is important in a dice game to make more "digestible" the time you get some snakes. One of my worst experience in fubmml was a game without any word from my opponent (neither hello nor goodbye) where on top of this i suffered the worst several consecutive snakes Ihave ever seen in my life, In this case some coach ragequit or concede. Some burnouts, offends their opponent and quit the community. And this is sad.

But i have to be honest this is very rare
If I make a statistics on how much often this is happen to me (to experience bad social interactions and/or nasty people) i think i can count on the finger of my left hands considering several hundreds game played

I find that Vast majority of FUMBBL coach, especially ones who are here since some time, are nice persons. Some exaggerate little bit in chat (like me), some don't say a word but at the end of the game relax and tell you something, some use discords, some whine little bit too much, some make some sarcasm, some are simply very polite but this is the beauty of the variety of community.

Another aspect which I would add about the community is the "coaching" topic. In Discord we have several channel where you can ask suggestions or comment about games.
I do not have shame to show my bad games and ask suggestions to coach "how should I have played this turn or this other?" And often i find expert people who take their time and explain. This is one of the most rewarding experiences because someone without any reason puts their experience at your disposal. And can make your game progressing (if you need or seek for progression and not just for fun)

Not everyone considers the social aspect of FUMBBL important. Perhaps some consider this a simple video game in which human interaction is not necessary (or even desired). Me, if I participated and played on FUMBBL without social interaction with the people I play with, I would feel very lonely.

Our society often for various reasons leads us to live far away from the places where we were born, or far away from our childhood friends. My best friends are thousands of miles away, the ones I used to play tournaments with.... Then there's the family, the kids, the wife... all in all, you don't have so much time to spend hours playing the real game anymore.

FUMBBL for me is a bit of a throwback to the BBS years as I wrote and I find this very enjoyable.

The important thing is not to give much importance to those few negative experiences like the one I described, to focus on the socially pleasant aspect of this community

this is not so easy because the human brain often ‘anchors’ more easily on the bad experiences that have shocked you than on the many pleasant ones that you may consider almost normal.
It is sometimes necessary to ‘unlearn’ what you have learnt. As Yoda would say.