41 coaches online • Server time: 23:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post More in-built icon c...goto Post 2020 FDL Evaluation ...goto Post Replays
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2024 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

MerryZ wrote:
Aint the idea of gauntlet that its not for all and just for winners ?

I think theres enough tournaments already that are open to all.

(Personally never get even 15 games in so dont compete there)

I see your point Merry, but the 'Wildcard' is used in most ALL professional sports. Why is it not ok for the gauntlet Question It's gives a chance to an improbable or possibly a sub-par team, within a group of the very best, & what's NOT fun about that? The underdog story is always interesting to folks & the likelihood of that team winning is very low so who cares Question

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2024 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Not only is it fun. But it incentivises coaches to complete their run even when they won't win.

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2024 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah for me its to add extra encouragement to finish the squads run.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2024 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Heck, id consider going further and put all coaches who complete a squad in the gauntlet, and those who win get a bonus like a first round bye, or being guaranteed not to play against another winner in round 1. But that idea would need to be fleshed out a lot more to be helpful.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2024 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Completing the 60 games is one thing. I don't think that completing 15 should get you in unless you win that roster.

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2024 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

My understanding is that we're talking about a coach who completes a squad. If that gets them in (for instance by lottery), then they are in with the team that got the most points in the squad that completed the run.

I do not believe anyone is talking about getting in simply by completing a single team - only if they complete the whole squad.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2024 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
My understanding is that we're talking about a coach who completes a squad. If that gets them in (for instance by lottery), then they are in with the team that got the most points in the squad that completed the run.

I do not believe anyone is talking about getting in simply by completing a single team - only if they complete the whole squad.

Ah OK. My misreading.

I still wouldn't just put everyone in the Gauntlet.
How many wildcard slots are there? 3?

How many complete the 60 games?

You could run a 2nd level tournament for the others. Including those who qualify twice. Wink

Edit: Who gets the wildcards now?

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2024 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

There are 5 majors open to everyone.

Gauntlet if for people who complete a strong racial run in trophy. Effectively the trophy season is the qualifier. This idea while interesting is not what this particular competition is about.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2024 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

hum. maybe just having 'complete a trophy squad' (full 60 games) counts as a qualifier, and therefore, shows on your homepage as a qualifier 'win'?
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2024 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

It's about how the extra tournament entries are decided. Racial wins are in, of course, but some 'second place' or high scoring teams are also in, which is already a 'consolation prize' entry, imo. It goes to someone who made a good effort, but didn't actually win.

Along those lines, I think anyone who finishes all 60 games contributes more to the health of the BBT then someone who only plays a particular team until they lose 2 games, and then is willing to retire the team, or an entire squad, as they are concerned only with making the 'main event.' Nothing wrong with that.. but I'd like to see anyone who plays all 60 games rewarded by having a slim shot at making the 'main event' as well.

I suggest one or two 'consolation prize' entries go to the bulwarks of the tournament, responsible for it's health and longevity, not just to the focused 'assassins.' I can't see the drawback, myself. Even the assassins like having more people partake, and I can't see this suggestion having any effect other than increasing participation, and diversity in the Box, and making the main event slightly easier for a qualifying assassin to win.

Last edited by The_Murker on %b %23, %2024 - %01:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2024 - 01:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Id like to hear Christers take on people who enter the bbt, and then drop a team (and potentially the whole squad) after 2 or 3 losses (or however many based on the roster lead), because that team simply won't be competitive to get into the gauntlet at the end of the bbt season.

My understanding is this is the main question: is the gauntlet the important thing (and therefore, encouraging people to play only teams that have a very strong win rate compared to the norm of that roster, and therefore dropping that team and not completing a squad is ok) or is the bbt participation the main thing (and then adding incentive to play out 60 games regardless of the win rate should be encouraged)?
Gridironman

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2024 - 05:56 Reply with quote Back to top

It is always my goal to TRY to play to 60 but I never have been able to yet (this season looks promising). I have never played a 2nd squad despite trying to pick strong races and ultimately misplaying them. I would think it is fairer for the traditional participating teams to evenly divide the wildcards. Hypothetically let's say there are 4 traditional qualifiers--each would have a loooong bye wherein 1/4th of the wildcards play knockout rounds. Once that 1/4th has a winner then they play their traditionally qualified squad.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2024 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Gridironman wrote:
It is always my goal to TRY to play to 60 but I never have been able to yet (this season looks promising). I have never played a 2nd squad despite trying to pick strong races and ultimately misplaying them. I would think it is fairer for the traditional participating teams to evenly divide the wildcards. Hypothetically let's say there are 4 traditional qualifiers--each would have a loooong bye wherein 1/4th of the wildcards play knockout rounds. Once that 1/4th has a winner then they play their traditionally qualified squad.

If I follow you right, this is like what they do in MLB now.
Two wildcards play for the right to get into the post-season playoffs Question

For gauntlet you could have 4 random wildcards, one for each of the yearly quarter BBT's.
They would then play 3 matches (2 rds) for the right to get into the main draw.
You then give the coach w/ the top racial score the right to play the wildcard Question

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2024 - 06:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, the wildcards will need to play in to earn the right to play the traditional participants.

That sounds good to me.

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2024 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Neat Idea Mr Murker,
Just hope I can get the games in lol after 3 draws still waiting a match today.
 Jump to: