39 coaches online • Server time: 14:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Is there a way to en...goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post A Guide to Finding G...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CoachBuck

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 05:08 Reply with quote Back to top

When building a Dwarf team I see the runners and blitzers as vital. The Slayers I have questions about. Reviewing the top Black Box Teams over the past few seasons: 1 Slayer is the most common build, but some have 2.

The Slayer creates several issues I’ve found: targeted for removals/fouling, difficult to manage frenzy (inexperience on my part), often in conflict with your attrition mindset.

I don't like trying to protect pieces as a dwarf player aside from my runner. The Slayer regularly introduces a thought pattern of: ‘do they have a blitz on my slayer?’ When so much of the game plan of dwarves is to stay on the pitch by winning the attrition game the Slayer seems like it can put that at risk.

So, I’ve been trying to evaluate if the benefits of the Slayer outweigh those risks: MV5, Frenzy, Dauntless.

I’m not great at managing Frenzy yet - and possibly just to develop the skill - keeping a Slayer would be worth it. At the moment though Frenzy creates unclear blocking scenarios for me. I understand its potential benefits: surfing, pitch control, but I believe you have to be decently skilled with Frenzy to realize those benefits.

Dauntless to fight the high strength teams also seems to be a good idea.

The additional movement is nice especially when you consider that he likely is your blitzer.

So Slayer thoughts? Take one? Take two? Take 0? Depends what kind of Dwarf team you want to play?
Carthage

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 06:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Grain salt: I'm an agility coach primarily.
But check how those top box teams started out. I feel the ones that either run 1 or 0 typically start out stronger than those that start with them.
You kind of need them in some matchups for the dauntless like tomb kings or undead. They help vs orcs too but against the S3 teams I've felt they're more of a liability than an asset for their cost when I play against them.
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 06:58 Reply with quote Back to top

slayers have to go together with guarding longbeards, which means you have to think beforehand where you want them to be when the second block kicks in. Then, act consequently. sometimes it's better to use them as support rather than going for a risky block, where risky means putting them in a uncovered position. Av8 breaks so easily these days...

The_Murker

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 08:40 Reply with quote Back to top

You can't have Juggernaut on a slayer until you have a slayer. Once you have a slayer with Juggernaut, nothing can stand near the sidelines. Owning the sidelines gives your slow-ass dwarves one additional option to try and score.. by running down the side.

If you -2d surf everything standing 2, or sometimes 3 squares away from the side, teams are more likely to punch it up with you in the middle, which is what you want when you play defense.

Keep slayers back until you need them.

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Side Step players can stand near the sidelines vs Juggernaut. That said, it's true that a Frenzy surf threat can change how the opponent plays.
Another pro of a Slayer is MA 5, he adds a little extra movement to the team compared to a Blocker.
About how many Slayers: with Piling On I used at least 1 Slayer, in this edition, without Piling On protecting him, I use to play with 0-1 Slayer. 2 seem harder to use and protect to me.
AV 9+ is not that high, at mid-high TV I prefer just to use either a Blitzer or Blocker with Dauntless to deal with high ST players. At low TV, when a team is young, 1 Slayer is more appealing (less Mighty Blow around, and, since the Dwarf team has not many Guards yet, Dauntless really shines).
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Its so braindead team that for atleast some enjoyment id get two, sadly you cant start with two.

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Carabor

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

CoachBuck wrote:
I’m not great at managing Frenzy yet - and possibly just to develop the skill - keeping a Slayer would be worth it. At the moment though Frenzy creates unclear blocking scenarios for me. I understand ...

And that's why you should play the Slayer - one of them.
You have to field a Slayer to develop your skills, otherwise you'll not learn / develop it at all.
Learning by doing.
You can practice the block /w frenzy situations at home - just grab a board, some decent miniatures and setup some game situations.

If you don't have a Slayer, the game (environment) wouldn't be the same. A (good) opponent must react to the presence of a Slayer (reasons stated above).
'Frenzy' itself changes things on the pitch...
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

as we used to say,

SLAY ALL MEN

oh, somebody already did it

Jump to: