23 coaches online • Server time: 01:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are great!goto Post Coach Standinggoto Post New special rule for...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2024 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, currently you can shift-click to mark players eg 'G' for guard (this can be automatic here https://fumbbl.com/p/clientoptions)

You can also shift click empty pitch squares, for example to mark where your carrier is going, and build a cage around the target square, then move the carrier last into the cage

Also, the client has internal coordinates system for each square, can be seen when a ball & chain moves. 0,0 is the top left square?

Can these be combined somehow, so that when you shift-click a square (maybe players as well) the popup that currently says 'Mark Field', could it also display the coordinates?

This would be useful to have a way to consistently refer to locations on the pitch, eg for spectator chat

Cheers
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2024 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

+1

Post 14 Posted: Aug 03, 2024 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

yes would be nice

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2024 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

+1, too!

JamesLangley

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2024 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=32685

Made this post with a similar idea for the pitch markings a while back

+1
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2024 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah yea, i even commented at the time. i guess it was still in the back of my mind
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2024 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I noticed the client now allows row markings, thank you

MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2024 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

There is ambiguity, though, in coordinates.
For example, if I write: "J 6 " without adding "red" or "blue" I can refer to 2 squares on the pitch, not just 1.
It would be better to number the squares from 1 to 26 in order to avoid that ambiguity.
Writing "J 6 blue" is too long. A coordinate should be quick to write and have no ambiguity.
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2024 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

It does. 0, 0 for the home team is 25, 0 for the away team. No matter what system you use, when communicating you always have to translate it back and forth as the client looks the same for everyone.

So what you see as blue, is red for the other one etc. There just is no perfect system.

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2024 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

In Chess no matter how you look at the Chessboard, every square is identified by a number and a letter. You can look at it from the White or Black player's perspective, the square coordinate doesn't change.
I guess it's not possible to do that with the client, though.

Anyway, even if the client coordinates change according to the position (Home or Away), the client perspective doesn't change for the spectators. The same pitch perspective is displayed to everybody in that case.
If there were markings displayed from 0 to 25 on the pitch (or from 1 to 26, it's a detail) it would be easier for the spectators to comment a match.
It's easier and more intuitive to write: "check the "N13 square" than: "check the N12 blue square".
The perfect system is a Cartesian system, with one letter to mark the row, one number (not a duplicate number) to mark the column.
It can't be technically possible in the client, I understand it, but that's the theoric perfection.
It's just a matter of replacing the numbers displayed on the pitch from the 2 series of 1-12 distance markings to a single series of 1-26 or 0-25 markings.
As spectator, I would be more interested in having a good system of coordinates than reading the 0-12 distance to score.
That can be useful for a coach playing, but for a spectator it's better to be able to refer quickly to a square to comment a play.
JamesLangley

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2024 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree that there should be a 1-26 system as mentioned, but perhaps just on the very bottom row.

The current function (or at least the function prior to this update) was to know how many squares there are from the End Zone, and that functionality should still be preserved, be it on the top or bottom row.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2024 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Or just make an option to show either the distance from the End Zone or the 1-26 numbers on the bottom row, that way people could customize it (maybe a toggle on-off option with a key so, if you press it once, you see the letters and the numbers of the coordinate system, twice and you see only the distance from End Zone).
As an aside, I think that using the numbers from 1 to 26 is more intuitive than 0 to 25 because in Chess coordinates there is no 0.

About letters' and numbers' colours: I think that having them displayed either in black or white would be better.
On a green pitch the red and blue are less visible than white (and on some white pitches, such as the HE or a snowy one, the black is better).
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2024 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

never happy eh? i think we should simply say WARM THANK to Christer and Candlejack for the great job
(done free of charge)
And once in a while a donation to this site wouldn't hurt because these guys do it for free despite being professionals

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2024 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Improvements are not done because people are happy of what they have, improvements come from unsatisfied people seeing the glimpse of progress.
We would still be living in caves wearing furs if we had been happy with that.
Thanks to my displaying bomb location suggestion now we can see where the bombs land.
That because I was unhappy of how the client showed the bombs on the pitch.
Being unhappy of what we have can be constructive and improve things.
Hone and hone again and pursue logic and efficiency.
I can live without a coordinate system, I just suggested a way to improve it, if there is interest in doing it.
I'm not demanding anything.
 Jump to: